Yamaha Rear Diff Knocking

1300vtwin

Jan 17, 2009
i know how to fix it for pretty cheap.......
buy my stock rear diff with brand new yamaha pads included.
i took it out to do a motor swap but this rear diff was on a stock susp. stock mtr. stock wheels.

$200

A customers Rhino has a strange knocking coming from the rear diff. We can't seem to find the source of the knock. Anyone else have this problem or know someone that has? Figured I'd ask before I crack it open. Thanks!

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
The rear end was clunking in my wifes Rhino, never figured it out so I ran it. Then I had to replace a rear inner boot due to a tear and I found one CV ball laying in it when I took it apart. It walked out some how and marred up it retainer circlip area on its way past.
Being the cheap bastard, I broke out the dremal, cleaned up the retainer groove and reassembled it with a new boot. No more clunk.

That was a year ago.

Hey 1300, where you at? I may need your diff as a spare.

1300vtwin

Jan 17, 2009
i am in yucaipa ca 92399
it so. cal near redlands and riverside.
i can ship it too if some one needs it.
its just sitting and i need some extra cash to finish my rhino. i got in over me head this time and didnt realize it.
i am doing a 1300 motor,full custom susp. with 20" travel king coilovers and bypasses,all new powdercoat and paint,huge stereo,carbonfiber dash and tailgate.
on top of that i bought a 5 seat lt car to use while i was doing my rhino and it blew the mtr 1st trip so i am having a new ls2,mendola 2d put in.

i just want to go to the dunes allready

rjv

RJV n' NC - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 2, 2009
NC
A friend of mine 09 had a knock when he would put it in gear, almost since day one. We thought it was a cv or or the rear diff was loose. We checked the bolts on the housing they where fine. He took into the dealer they told him it was normal. About a month ago when riding at a friends track he got a little air and broke the through shalf in the tranny and it took the gears with it. It look like a bad part.

Karl

McKrawlin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Glendale, AZ
I dont think it will work for him....I mentioned selling him my diff but the splines between the 04-06 and the 07-08 are different......sweet deal still though!!
Just to clarify... are you saying the splines are the same in the 07 and 08 rear diff?

The axles are not the same though right? :confused:

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I am pretty sure the 04 is the oddball and the 05-07 are the same

08 is different and the placement in the rear is different also, hence Karl is correct, the axles are diff from previous years,

another note, I am not sure if the inside gears changed in the motor or the diff, but one of them is def geared lower than the 660's are.

this is one reason the roller change out is a different setup for the 700's over the 660's also.

Rainman LOL

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000