UTVUG LOORRS Glen Helen Pics & Results

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
FactoryFMF, YES, it was his fault. Dan is ALWAYS out of control. He careened straight across the track and left me no where to go - took out my SIDE panel AND my front spindle. Not to mention, he also took Greg out on the first lap, as well at tagged a few others. Dan needs to learn how to drive - PERIOD. He has hit me on more occasions than I even have fingers to count on over the years, and I am to the point now where I am just tired of it. The black flag needs to start coming out in these races if he is going to keep driving the way he does, before he really hurts someone. And for you to defend his driving this weekend is just rediculous.....

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
FactoryFMF, YES, it was his fault. Dan is ALWAYS out of control. He careened straight across the track and left me no where to go - took out my SIDE panel AND my front spindle. Not to mention, he also took Greg out on the first lap, as well at tagged a few others. Dan needs to learn how to drive - PERIOD. He has hit me on more occasions than I even have fingers to count on over the years, and I am to the point now where I am just tired of it. The black flag needs to start coming out in these races if he is going to keep driving the way he does, before he really hurts someone. And for you to defend his driving this weekend is just rediculous.....
I have to agree, last year at surprise He hit me going down the straight away on the restart, Todd told me to hold me ground, Dan ended up on the K-rail! LMAO.

he has no control, no matter what he is driving. sometimes a little patience is Faster.

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for all the pics and recaps Joey and crew! You guys do awesome work, and are always a blast to have some fun with! Congrats to the podium winners, and to Code for his 1st win!!

It was definitely a rough weekend for me. I slid into the concrete wall in turn one on saturday, hitting the front and rear tires, and nerf bars. Broke all sorts of stuff, and even moved the drivetrain over a good amount.

Then on sunday, starting in last, i was able to pass 3 or 4 cars by the end of the "un-rhythm" section, and while on the very inside line in turn 3, Dan Kelly came from the far outside line straight into my front tire just before the apex of the turn, ripping off the front wheel. After watching my in car video, if he didn't hit me, he would have ended up cutting the corner too short and going up the berm on the inside, but the knock straightened him out, and sent me across the track with another broken front end. It just sucks to know there is another guy on the track that is always out of control, and wreaking havoc. I have heard from just about everyone that has raced on the track with him, that he is always out of control, and to be cautious with him. I was trying my hardest to give him plenty of room because the last thing i wanted was to make contact with him or get any where close. But that wasn't enough. He came out of nowhere. Very frustrating to not even be able to make a complete lap last weekend. And the worst part was, he gets out of his car after the race talking to his spotter saying that Corry and I hit him. Then 10 minutes later he walks over, and asks me what happend. After I explained to him that he hit me, he says straight to my face, "Oh yeah, I felt that." and walked off. Pretty bad sportsmanship if you ask me. He just needs to take it down a notch. In my opinion, he is driving beyond his means, and taking out other racers in the process. There isn't one other driver in the UTV class that drives the way he does. Its too bad. But that is what racing is all about.. Gotta take the bad with the good!

G-

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It was a bummer to see you go down so quickly Greg. I never like to see a racer being yanked off the track on the strap. You all work so hard throughout the weeks to get prepared for the races, you invest time and money only to go down before the checkered flag. But like you said, thats racing and you have to take the good with the bad.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah.. it was funny because i told the tow truck dude that i wasn't going to see him on Sunday.. but sure enough, he rolled up, and had to drag me back again! haha.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I am not siding with anyone. All I can say from a fan stand point is, bumping is part of the deal. Watch a U4, U2 or Ulite everyone getting slammed around. I think the different is when a large vehicle gets bummped they have the horsepower to recover.

I think the officials know what they are doing. I saw a couple black flags waved this weekend. I saw a couple bumps happen during the UTV race's. A could have been avoided by just letting off a little and not pushing the other car around. I also saw a couple racers out there stuck behind slower cars and they were giving a tap to the rear bumper and they would not move. At that point you have to be aggressive and get in there and pass. This may result in contact.

This is just the way I see it. I am not behind the wheel so I can only speak on what I see from where I stand. I think all contact should be avoided.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Don't get me wrong.. i agree. Bumping is for sure part of racing. I have been bumped, and spun out... but when its to the point of ripping off tires for something that was for sure avoidable, because the driver can't control his car when he is all alone is a different story, and then can't even apoligize for it. Sucks hard.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
see I disagree with rusty just a little bit. This isnt desert racing, I dont think there should be hardly any front to back bumping or nerfing to motivate a slower guy to move. In the desert you do that to let the slower guy in front know that you are there and to move over so you can safely pass. In short track it is your job to get around people, not push or move them out of your way. If you are so much faster that you can keep running up in the back of someone then you should be fast enough to just drive around them at some point. In short track racing its a game of holding your line and remaining commited to what your spotter is telling you. If a car hits a strait away / rythem section slow or not he is in front and has to hold his line, the guy in back should not run up and hit him cause he likes that line too and is faster......

Panel to panel rubbing is going to happen and to me is much cleaner in terms of "rubbing is racing". Guys are SXS and hauling butt jocking for position. Wheels and Nerf bars are going to touch and as long as the guy inside or the guy outside isnt trying to deliberatly slam somone off the course then I think its part of the game and fair. But when you see guys pulling full on pit menuevers and never lifting causing others to spin, roll, and ruin cars it sucks to see. Sure the trucks do it, and yeah I think they have the power to fight through, but trust me those guys have the same conflicts. In all the rubbing and coliding aspect does make for exciting racing, and thats large part that people are attracted to short course off road racing.

As for Dan, I didnt see him hit Greg or Corry and I saw him touch tyler a bit but I also saw him try to avoid it in the next photo I took. In every race there is some questionable stuff that takes place but you have to trust in LOORRS staff to be the deciding factor of what was clean or dirty.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Pushing someone out of your way is not OK. But running behind someone and bumping a little is OK. You can pressure someone into a mistake. I think sometimes you can't just make the pass just because you are super fast. Kyle and Rick were bumping eachother like crazy. Rick was coming out of the turn faster than Kyle after the moglas and he was hitting his rear bumper everytime. That's OK you just can push someone or slam into them and take them out.

As far as out of control drivers. That is something that needs to be takin up with Lucas Officials.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I see what your saying...In the case of Leduc and Huseman they were both running about the same pace and taking the same lines therefore their touching was done at the same rate of speed. Different then taking a run up on someone and continually tapping them as if to say to MOVE...lol.....Sometimes it looks like people are making more moves with thier bumpers then they are with their driving skills. But then you watch battles like Chad, Bobby, and Sutin were having and it was all clean. It looked like ballet watching them dice and avoid eachother, but as we saw while watching Tylers in car him and Chad even got panel to panel a couple of times but it was just pure hard racing and not overly aggressive.

In all it was some awesome racing this weekend!!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
UTV racing is a relativly new sport and the UTV racers need practice to act like the PRO 2/4 guys. it all takes time and lots of practice to work a track and find the fastest line you and your truck can handle.

not to belittle any racers out there just saying we have a long way to go untill 90% of the UTV racers know what to do and when on a track. i for one will sit in the bleachers untill i feel more comfortable racing.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Whose ever idea it was to put a 2WD 130HP machine on the same wet track, at the same time, as a 70HP 4WD machine is an idiot. period.

Wombat Combat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

Ugly Kid Joe

I think it's unfair to single out one person like Dan, I saw even the top guy's have a moment on the track where they were out of control. There was foul play on and off the track when there didnt need to be. Every team has their weekend where it just does'nt work, but we cant let it beat us up. I do agree on the black flag issue, I think if we can get them in bring it out more, we'd see alot cleaner driving. Over all it was a rough weekend for everyone, but we cant forget, we all need eachother to keep this thing going....

U

Ugly Kid Joe

Whose ever idea it was to put a 2WD 130HP machine on the same wet track, at the same time, as a 70HP 4WD machine is an idiot. period.
I agree that the classes should be seperated, but the reality is, if they were'nt together, we wouldnt have a sport. 6 cars on a track that big isnt very exciting, and would make for a boring race for the drivers. The cost to run a pro utv has just become to far out of reach for most teams.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Racing is racing.. you gotta roll with the punches. I know this, as i am sure most of the other racers do as well. Just venting a little for things that I can't control. I am sure Dan didn't do it on purpose. But a little apology would have gone a long way, after i told him what happened.

Reactions: 1 person

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Splitting classes isn't necessarily the issue here. Although I'm ALL for having them completely seperate. We should have 10 or 11 cars at Speedworld in the SR1 class - splitting them up would be OK for our class, but it would leave the Unlimited Class with a smaller field.

And Greg - I don't think Dan does this on purpose either, but it doesn't make it any better for anyone who has to share a track with him.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think it's unfair to single out one person like Dan, I saw even the top guy's have a moment on the track where they were out of control. There was foul play on and off the track when there didnt need to be. Every team has their weekend where it just does'nt work, but we cant let it beat us up. I do agree on the black flag issue, I think if we can get them in bring it out more, we'd see alot cleaner driving. Over all it was a rough weekend for everyone, but we cant forget, we all need eachother to keep this thing going....
Great post Joe!! You are spot on. Everyone loses control at times and sometimes that causes others collateral damage.

Splitting the classes can not happen at this time IMO.

Anyway, back to the fun stuff!!!!!!! LOL How about Tyler Winbury this weekend??? TRhe kid is making a run here mid season!!!!!!

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Seems to me Dan was a victim of no practice time. He tried thru the weekend to make the car better, but it only got worse. He had no idea it would be worse and sure wasn't gonna pussy foot around. Just like we had to do with bobbys car, try something and hope it works cuz we aren't getting any test time. It's a shame others were taken out, but that's racing.

Blame it on Lucas for leaving the track unused all damn day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000