SR1, whos bulding one?

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Also, in reponse to your first post, Joey! I have the following:

1. Corry Weller, the OG SR1 (woot!)
2. Mike Valentine cls78 (grandfathered into the SR1 class and will be required to disconnect some linkage and what not)
3. Ben WildEarp Build in progress and can be followed here on UTVUG!
4. Bobby VanBeekum aka BOBONTHIS (raced at Speedworld this weekend!)
5. MotoGary Thompson at Weller NOW! (Gary's car is all wide and serious looking, now!)
6. Kyle LeDuc confirmed without confirming that the red Direct Concepts 99 Yamaha Rhino will be gettng an SR1 transplant! (yes, Kyle received his kit a couple of weeks ago)
7. Bronco Dan Kelley (I think Bobby told me he was going to build one?)(Yes, Dan is in the process of installing his kit now!)
8. Tyler Herzog (won both races at Speedworld this weekend!)
9. Josh S. (orange/silver Rhino - two races under his belt and having a blast!)
10.) New customer - turnkey SR1....not sure what his name is yet!

And that's just the ones I can think of without talking to Jason........the more the merrier!! :)

side x side tv

Banned Por Vida
Aug 5, 2009
Well, that would be too bad.....an open class defeats the entire purpose of trying to start a drivers class for UTV's for once. Our talks with LOORRS have actually been going very well.....

I like the idea behind what a spec class is, and why it's developed. I like way that it evens up the entire field - but we also didnt' want to limit who makes what chassis, etc. Hence, this class is a "spec" class without actually being a spec class.....there are ways to keep the cars identical in performance and power without limiting who the builder is. :)

just a ? do you think if there is just a class with sb motors limited to a 1000cc no mater you the builder is it would make it a drivers class?

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I must say I was very impressed watching the gsxr vs r1 battle Saturday. I knew corry www an excellent driver, but I really expected the gsxr to put power the r1. That didn't happen. On the straights they were very even.

side x side tv

Banned Por Vida
Aug 5, 2009
Been debating different swaps for my car now for awhile. Was leaning towards dropping a Rotax in it but I'm pretty damn sure I'm gonna go with a Weller SR1 kit now! Now, do I do the swap now..., or finish out the season fist? :confused:

i would finish out the season if you start now you could miss out on some rides:mad:

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
the rhino should have came with the r1 to start with! sounds like everyone is converting... glad to here that...

junior quisquis

I AM NOT BLUE - YOU LIFT-YOU LOSE! - UTVUndergroun
This is a Question for Corry.

At first I was for the spec class all the way, I was glad that we could get the rhino's out of the dust. but I guess I didn't understand it.

The motor is limited to 1000cc and no more, but the motor mount kit has to be through weller. I like wellers parts and service but you are in Arizona. I am in California. I am having a company build mine but its not called a SR1,

I thought that I would be able to race again because it was a spec class. What I understood to be a spec class is set of rules that would limit everybody so It would be a drivers class. I am glad Corry that you are going out and pushing this to get rhinos back in the game. But I guess the question that I'm trying to ask is, What difference does the the motor mount kit have to do with performance?.

Instead of a spec class it sounds like it should be a 1000cc limited no matter what make,model, or builder.

If I look at the sport as a fan, I would rather see A hell of a lot of 1000cc UTV's on the track going balls out just like the pro 2's and pro 4's where there is touching rubbing and sometimes just full on contact on the track.

People come to loors and other races to see a hell of a good race, I just think that we should all look at the bigger picture and not limit our sport from growing into a full on event that draws a few thousand people in a weekend.

Sorry so long but I had to just get this out.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Im in CA. Anybody with a welder and a grinder can install Wellers SR1 kit. I did it myself as my normal shop was busy with a ton of builds last month, and Im not exactly a top notch fabricator. Only took one evening to cut out the old, line up and weld in the new. Now its on to all the small stuff, above and beyond the Weller kit..

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i beleive its all about motor placement for weight bias. not sure how they are going to check for 1000cc max and a stock engine with no programmers.

AZCourt

Feb 11, 2009
i beleive its all about motor placement for weight bias. not sure how they are going to check for 1000cc max and a stock engine with no programmers.
I suppose if someone is running away from everyone else on the straights, you pull them down.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Well, to address Junior's post, I'd like to share my vision of what this class will mean. Here we are....all lined up and ready to race. I'm looking at the Rhino to my left, and to my right....and the ones lined up in front and behind me. I am thinking to myself.....I'm going to have to drive my a$$ off today, but I have a great shot at the podium. For ONCE, I'm not thinking "wow, my motor isn't as big or powerful as so-and-so's, but maybe I can make the podium if some people break" I'm not thinking "hmmm.....that guys running a CBR 1000....wonder if the torque is better or different? Wonder if he's got more power than I do?" I'm not thinking "I sure wish I could afford a 2010 Kawi v-twin".

Now, I don't necessarily have these exact thoughts, but hopefully it helps to illustrate why we wanted to create this class. Like I have said many times before....the reason for the Rhino only and bone stock R1 motors only and the mounting kit and chain drive only is to keep things on such an even keel, that no one has those thoughts on the starting line. No one feels that they are out-powered, or out torqued, or out-spent. Everyone sitting there, ready to race, knows that it's ONLY about how well they can get their car around that track.

CLOSE racing makes it fun to watch - and CLOSE racing makes it fun to race....there is a difference, however, between close racing and banging into everyone. We aren't looking for a crash up derby race in order to attract fans....we are looking for wheel to wheel, tight racing where ANYone can take that podium.

And it's fine if you have someone else making your drive kit - as long as it's a chain drive and doesn't have reverse - as long as you run a stock R1 motor between the years specified and follow the rest of the guidelines. The only thing required from us is the motor mounts, and yes - it's to keep the motors all in the same exact place (it's also very well balanced where it's at, and you can still access the clutch cover) If it qualifies to run in the SR1 class, it's an SR1 - it doesn't have to be built by us. Again, it's a way to have the close racing benefits of a spec class, without the whole "one builder" thing.

As for the ECU.....we are still debating that one. It's going to be very hard to keep people honest with those, and we are wondering if it would be best for tech and everyone to just allow aftermarket ones.

But yes....if we are ALL running the same motor, then no one should be pulling hard from anyone else in the straights - it will be pretty obvious if someone has more power for some reason than everyone else. Yet another reason to keep it all the same motor. Also, the tech crew will be familiar with a single brand motor and tech will be much less of a headache for the series. We are all about making it as easy as possible on them.

Hope this helps....I feel like I have been saying the same thing for months now - lol! :)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
beat that horse Corry BEAT IT!!!!!!!!! LOL

Most of us get it and most of us are behind it. I am pumped to see the SR1 class and I am also pumped to see UTV's evolve and see other street bike and V Twin motors go in them. I can however wrap my mind around the concept and you guys have made it perfectly clear over and over again. Keep plugging way and pumping those kits out! The SR1 Class is FOR REAL!!!!!

Keep it up Weller!!!

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Corry, let me know what way it's going with the programmers. I didn't realize they wernt going to allow them. I was planning to run a Powecommander just to make the Afr correct. I don't think there's much power to be had with just the powercommander, and not the timing module. Just making it run safe.

Are you guys running the stock air box to keep from needing a programmer?

Also, you can buy programmable ecus on eBay that will look just like stock, and you won't be able to tell..

AZCourt

Feb 11, 2009
CLOSE racing makes it fun to watch - and CLOSE racing makes it fun to race....there is a difference, however, between close racing and banging into everyone. We aren't looking for a crash up derby race in order to attract fans....we are looking for wheel to wheel, tight racing where ANYone can take that podium.
Well I guess LaDuec is out then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZCourt

Feb 11, 2009
the reason for the Rhino only and bone stock R1 motors only and the mounting kit and chain drive only is to keep things on such an even keel, that no one has those thoughts on the starting line. No one feels that they are out-powered, or out torqued, or out-spent. Everyone sitting there, ready to race, knows that it's ONLY about how well they can get their car around that track.
Change the weight rule and that will be a lot closer to the truth, until then there could still be a pretty big advantage to you over me.

Think its not true, then why did everyone kick thier co-drivers out Sunday????:confused:

And trust me, if it was easy for a guy like me to drop 150 LBS i would have done it already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000