Elka Stage 5 shocks for Rzr 1000 xp

Aaron McAlexander

Sep 17, 2018
elka makes a great product, but they are so hard to get a hold of. I need some direction on setting up ride height for MX and XC. Then I need more explanation on how to or what setting work best for different terrain without creating issues with my Corning. I like my setup now, but on bigger jumps it seems that I’m bottoming out in the rear more often. Mosly with two persons in the sxs. I know weight is a factor, but didn’t think it would be that huge a factor with he Stage 5 Elkas. I know it’s orobalky way once I understand it, but would rather learn from an expert first. I’m looking for education on shock adjustment. So I can make these changes when I need to because race terrains are always different.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
It will be interesting to observe just how much help you receive with this common question given the recent exodus of those who have had first hand experience concerning exactly how to help you out.
The Elka 5-stage design is basic shock tuning 101 for most of the post RZR XP 2014 (etc.) cars out there with suspension upgrades.
There are some older Shock Therapy posts on both of the major forums which are informative as well.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
....it would be a shame if a forum member is forced to call a company with no skin in the game for (basic) advice that should be available in spades here. To me, this would really speak to the present state of the sport in terms of who we all really are and our willingness to help each other out not to mention just how far this forum has declined in a hurry.

I'm beginning to believe that a lot of what Joey was willing to do in keeping these conversations interesting is starting to be missed almost immediately. Throw in the racers/teams moving to strictly "look at me now!' (insignificant) social media self promoting and perhaps we are witnessing the slow death of thoughtful intercourse....

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
My advice is to get in touch with a shock tuner as they will be able to get your car set up correctly. Getting a shock expert to tune the shocks is money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
....it would be a shame if a forum member is forced to call a company with no skin in the game for (basic) advice that should be available in spades here. To me, this would really speak to the present state of the sport in terms of who we all really are and our willingness to help each other out not to mention just how far this forum has declined in a hurry.

I'm beginning to believe that a lot of what Joey was willing to do in keeping these conversations interesting is starting to be missed almost immediately. Throw in the racers/teams moving to strictly "look at me now!' (insignificant) social media self promoting and perhaps we are witnessing the slow death of thoughtful intercourse....
Social media has taken over where a forum was. Its far easier to get answers on there than it is on forums especially when you are in a hurry and in some cases deal with a forum moderator that wants to control the content/moderate until the forum is to their personal liking.

Point in case : Theres a social media group for a brand with 10k followers that's two years old, there's a forum that is 6 years old with 8k members and less then 150 active members.

To the O.P. - Before I start rambling - when you tune : keep a log of what you changed, how you changed it and if it improved or not that way you can go back to the adjustments you have previously if you get undesirable results.

Your ride height for XC and MX are going to be different, on my stage 5 setup on my old wildcat I was running a 13.75 ride height for the Xc style courses , then 11.5 for the mx style stuff. The biggest thing is your spring and valve rates will be substantially different. You'll run a more plush setup for xc where mx will be much more rigid. I was running two different sets of shocks for this setup though too due to the weight changes with a passenger, the style of ride I was after and the things I needed.

A few things to try -

Playing with crossovers will help. You can get a more plush ride by having more clearance between the crossover rings to the crossover tender, the downside is more body roll. Having the rings closer to the tender will put you into the firmer spring rate faster which will firm up the ride

Play with the high speed compression - firming this up will help with your bottoming condition.

Play with the rebound - if you are compacting the suspension in a long whooped out section your rebound maybe too slow causing the shock to not go back to full stroke before the next hit.

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com

He wanted expert advice on Elka so I suggested and Elka Expert................

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

There are too many variables in setting up shocks and it is best to go to someone that does this stuff for a living. What works for one racer may not work for another. Each driver likes a certain feel and if you have access to a shock tuner the end result will be much better than a bunch of people guessing at what he should do.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
He wanted expert advice on Elka so I suggested and Elka Expert................
My previous opinion (again):

"....it would be a shame if a forum member is forced to call a company with no skin in the game for (basic) advice that should be available in spades here..."

Obviously, you are close enough to the owner of this company to without a doubt know that he welcomes these inquiries anytime whether customers around the world have purchased their Elkas from him or not. I was hoping that the forum membership could spare him these extremely detailed and necessarily long phone calls yet am impressed that he welcomes them just the same under any circumstance.
Personally, I have spent a lot of (wasted) time in my life necessarily weeding out brain pickers versus actual bill payers not because I didn't want to help or educate.

Last edited:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I dont know what your elkas have for adjustability but if they have high/low speed I would probably crank a good amount of low speed compression into them and make another pass at the same terrain. Also you could move down your crossover ring so it comes in a little sooner. All this will effect your comfort at low speed but should help alot with bottoming out.

Legacy again....I have you blocked so I dont have to view your ramblings....but I just couldn't help myself today. If you were so much in the "Know" like you think you are....you would know that Elka has not been a player in the UTV game. They are so far behind the curve that they have almost become irrelevant in the UTV market. So when someone is looking for "expert" advice about that product they will need to be sent away looking for it.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"...Legacy again....I have you blocked so I dont have to view your ramblings....but I just couldn't help myself today..."
:) God Bless you my friend. I would check with the moderator to see if that previous 'block' for purposes of safe spacing your exposures to any conflicting thought is actually working... as 'blocks' never allow you to...well...you know (in the first place). ;)

"..If you were so much in the "Know" like you think you are....you would know that Elka has not been a player in the UTV game. They are so far behind the curve that they have almost become irrelevant in the UTV market. So when someone is looking for "expert" advice about that product they will need to be sent away looking for it..."
#1) Elka produced a very competitively priced shock not too long ago for the UTV market (indeed the Stage 5 which the OP references)
#2) By doing so, yes, they were indeed "in the game" at that time for many mere peon racing 'fans' out here who don't necessarily run several hundred thousand dollar cars, haulers, rigs (etc.) or those meek souls whose noses generally point parallel with the ground.
#3) You have just made a point better than I ever could in terms of exactly how a good share of today's racers view the critical fan base of this sport since perhaps a couple of years after racing UTVs seriously started.

Perhaps the "UTV game" referenced above is just so far above our collective Joe six pack ability to understand, appreciate or most importantly 'obtain'...that us 'dummies' actually supporting this sport should apply our mental deficiency to "(just) send them away" racer's sponsored products as well. I've been doing this for years now...and why not?

It's beginning to look like 'social media' for some (versus forums) has become more attractive due to the "un-friend-'em" stuff which evidently made it so popular years ago (if it is ever turned on). ;)

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
:) God Bless you my friend. I would check with the moderator to see if that previous 'block' for purposes of safe spacing your exposures to any conflicting thought is actually working... as 'blocks' never allow you to...well...you know (in the first place). ;)

#1) Elka produced a very competitively priced shock not too long ago for the UTV market (indeed the Stage 5 which the OP references)
#2) By doing so, yes, they were indeed "in the game" at that time for many mere peon racing 'fans' out here who don't necessarily run several hundred thousand dollar cars, haulers, rigs (etc.) or those meek souls whose noses generally point parallel with the ground.
#3) You have just made a point better than I ever could in terms of exactly how a good share of today's racers view the critical fan base of this sport since perhaps a couple of years after racing UTVs seriously started.

Perhaps the "UTV game" referenced above is just so far above our collective Joe six pack ability to understand, appreciate or most importantly 'obtain'...that us 'dummies' actually supporting this sport should apply our mental deficiency to "(just) send them away" racer's sponsored products as well. I've been doing this for years now...and why not?

It's beginning to look like 'social media' for some (versus forums) has become more attractive due to the "un-friend-'em" stuff which evidently made it so popular years ago (if it is ever turned on). ;)
#1...Im not a "racer" Just So were clear.
#2.. Elka has indeed made shocks for UTV's for several years, They never gained traction except maybe in 06-07 on rhinos. Once the RZR XP900 came about larger shocks were a necessity. Then came 2.5's. It took elka another 2 years to step up to a 2.2 or 56MM shock. By this time 3.0 shocks were coming with internal bypass, bottom out control, and needle bypass shocks...As far as I know Elka still dont have an answer for internal bypass, needle bypass, or bottom out control.
#3 I dont know about you because you like to hide behind a screen name but I am average "6 Pack JOE" and only know enough about shocks to be dangerous. There are alot of people whom know more than I, and alot of people whom know less than I. However when I want to know specifics I dont want some random screen names opinion....I want real deal first hand knowledge for someone "in the know"....and if that means sending me down the road...I am happy to take that info and run.

Reactions: sand shark

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"..Legacy again....I have you blocked so I dont have to view your ramblings....but I just couldn't help myself...."
Crickets!
...either your 'blocker' isn't working very well...you actually 'do' want to break free from the safe space which you have created for yourself by (cough) claiming to be using it...or...

I'll say it again:
(By far) most of the shocks out there today resemble Elka Stage 5s in one manner or another and are similarly adjustable in terms of what needs to be.

Free advice for what its worth: Please don't allow your own opinions:

".,(BiggJimm)...However when I want to know specifics I dont want some random screen names opinion....I want real deal first hand knowledge for someone "in the know".."

...to get in the way of those simply not having the 'connections' you value or possess to seek out information on a forum of any type.

You're not only making my point (again) in regards to what the average fan out here believes to be the current attitude/state of the sport (including many teams and sponsors)...but you're just not helping the reputation of the forum (remember to check with the moderator on that 'blocking' problem you seen to be having as well). ;)

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

...either your 'blocker' isn't working very well...you actually 'do' want to break free from the safe space which you have created for yourself by (cough) claiming to be using it...or...

I'll say it again:
(By far) most of the shocks out there today resemble Elka Stage 5s in one manner or another and are similarly adjustable in terms of what needs to be.

".,(BiggJimm)...However when I want to know specifics I dont want some random screen names opinion....I want real deal first hand knowledge for someone "in the know".."

...to get in the way of those simply not having the 'connections' you value or possess to seek out information on a forum of any type.

You're not only making my point (again) in regards to what the average fan out here believes to be the current attitude/state of the sport (including many teams and sponsors)...but you're just not helping the reputation of the forum (remember to check with the moderator on that 'blocking' problem you seen to be having as well). ;)
Still trying to figure out what your issue is with the responses that have been posted. Try concise sentences.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
There are too many variables in setting up shocks and it is best to go to someone that does this stuff for a living. What works for one racer may not work for another. Each driver likes a certain feel and if you have access to a shock tuner the end result will be much better than a bunch of people guessing at what he should do.
Still trying to figure out what your issue is with the responses that have been posted. Try concise sentences.
The OP simply wants to talk (basic) shock adjustments...simple enough to "figure out"???
We're all assuming that he has enough sense to find someone else who tunes shocks...yet who knows if he has the time and/or money to go there (which we all know isn't a problem whatsoever with many on here).

When you add those claiming to not 'understand' the OP's request for forum-based support or anybody else on here (trying) to explain his questions involving such a simple (everyday) UTV-related question?

It isn't any wonder that 'community' has been such an elusive goal in this sport for so many years now.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield

I'll say it again:

Safe space? Negative..... I have never blocked anyone but you. You ramble on like a like a extremist, Yet You call yourself a common Joe, but nothing about your character is common. You offer nothing to this forum....NOTHING. You give Zero input on anything UTV related, You give Zero input on any tech questions asked, and you are a troll to this forum pushing an agenda.
upload_2018-9-27_15-43-41.png
As a matter a Fact you were the first to respond with a rant about how much help this person might receive. For what? Maybe pipe down or help the guy out.

I question whether or not you even have a UTV, or are an enthusiast at all.

Attachments

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"..I have never blocked anyone but you..."
...your 'blocker' (again) is obviously not working. Fixing this extremely easily and solvable issue has been offered many times before to not only yourself but
countless internet forum members since the forum concept was first birthed. I have yet to witness anyone take it to the extreme that you have without being called out time after time by more than one member (which the current racing community evidently never does; further eroding any respect that they might gain by sticking up for peon fans or the true sponsors of this sport).

Some needfully embrace the safe space comfort which the easily activated blocking feature provides and others do not. You have indicated many times before that you prefer this 'hear no evil' method of discourse very common today with our younger generation. Given that you are obviously at the (breaking) point of questioning whether fellow forum members "have" machines or whether they are even "enthusiasts at all" please use it versus continually threatening to.

We started out with a three wheeler in the 80's, Sportsman in the 90's, switched to the very first Rhino at the turn of the century, were blessed with the very first 800 Rzr and finally ended up with the very first XP41000. We both created and sponsored the first youth atv safety classes in our community after witnessing the apathy and overall lack of community connected with the ever more powerful machines that we were purchasing.

Why I feel compelled to tell this story is beyond me. One possible reason: If there is a common 'divider' in this sport it is probably one enthusiast claiming to another that his butt is sorer or that only those riding/advocating from 'x' date need aspire to community leadership or commentary (must be a 'guy' thing as I've never witnessed a woman use this arrogance to date).

'Blocking' members on a forum while at the same time both reading and responding to their posts is a new one for me so please forgive this old man for not keeping up with how the 'young guys' in this sport necessary roll. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000