All UTV's Attention Fabracators!!!!!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I am looking for someone to mandrel Bend me a 2" radius 1" tube.....Probably .095 or as light of material as possible.....Let me know if anyone here can do what I'm looking for???? Or can you point me in the right direction:DThanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
My new light bar......I want to house my new rigid led in a bar so if I take another indo it will be safe just like my kragens were;). I want the ends to round.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I bet Magnum could also bust this out.....
What I am finding is most fols can only turn a 3.5 inch radius...which will make my bar way taller than I want. With a 2 inch my overall bar height is only going to be about 5"s tall....Basicly my goal is to have about 1/2 inch above and below my rigid LED.

AzBdBy

Arizona Bad Boy - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Phoenix
metalrhino.com
What I am finding is most fols can only turn a 3.5 inch radius...which will make my bar way taller than I want. With a 2 inch my overall bar height is only going to be about 5"s tall....Basicly my goal is to have about 1/2 inch above and below my rigid LED.
That is because the tube will kink if you make the radius any tighter. I am assuming that is why you want it mandrel bent. Most fabricators do not have mandrel benders. I think I would change my design and compromise a little. I don't know too much about mandrel benders, but aren't they normally used in lighter application like exhaust manufacturing?

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
That is because the tube will kink if you make the radius any tighter. I am assuming that is why you want it mandrel bent. Most fabricators do not have mandrel benders. I think I would change my design and compromise a little. I don't know too much about mandrel benders, but aren't they normally used in lighter application like exhaust manufacturing?
Your right I dont think most fab guys use mandrel benders......If I cant get a bend like that I will do something else.....that was just the first Idea I came up with

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
are you sure you need a 2" CLR ( Center line Radius) for that bend?? Like mentioned, I am not sure you will find that very easy, as it might ripple the inside. I will ask Alumicraft tomorrow night, but I am not sure they have one either.

Rog

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
out of round tubing the only way i can think of how to do that is cut a good amount of reliefs then form it and weld it (plenty strong for a light bar). or make it square shaped tubing (in a sense) instead of round. a front and rear plate then weld in some 3/4" strip. think of an a arm made from sheet.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
are you sure you need a 2" CLR ( Center line Radius) for that bend?? Like mentioned, I am not sure you will find that very easy, as it might ripple the inside. I will ask Alumicraft tomorrow night, but I am not sure they have one either.

Rog
A 2" radius should give me 4"s center to center on the tubes. Basically I am trying to end up with a 1/2 inch above and below my rigid light bar. My fab guy said if I find someone with a mandrel bender it shouldn't be a problem....a regular bender will defiantly kink the tubing on that tight a bend

AzBdBy

Arizona Bad Boy - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Phoenix
metalrhino.com
So are you wanting an oval around your light bar like this pic? Not sure exactly what light bar you have, but with the dimensions you gave that makes your light bar only 2" tall. The light bars on Rigid's site say they are 3 3/8 tall. That means you need ~2.75" CLR for a 1/2" of clearance all the way around. Maybe I am not understanding.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
So are you wanting an oval around your light bar like this pic? Not sure exactly what light bar you have, but with the dimensions you gave that makes your light bar only 2" tall. The light bars on Rigid's site say they are 3 3/8 tall. That means you need ~2.75" CLR for a 1/2" of clearance all the way around. Maybe I am not understanding.

Hmmm...We did some math wrong somewhere:confused: A 4" radius would have left us a 3" opening

ZTFab

Zero Tolerance Fabrication - Official UTVUndergrou
Mar 25, 2009
Upland, ca
I have a 1" 3.0 CLR die. If i bend 180 degrees I end up with a 2" opening. See attached PDF for more info.

If you have a 3" Center Line Radius Die and you bend a 180* hoop in 1" tube, then you will have an approximate inside measurement of 5" between the tubes.

3" CLR is a 6" diameter, so a 180* bend in the tube would be 6" on center, minus 1/2" on each side for the tube to get the inside measurement of 5", not 2".

BigJim is asking for a 1" tube on a 2" radius which would be a 4" diameter, on center, when bent to 180*. That would approximately leave a 3" opening.

You also have to take into account the calibrated radius for material stretch and any variances in the physical die size so you will probably end up with an opening around 3.25".

Reactions: 1 person

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I am not sure if they make them in 1 inch but i have seen what i call donuts that are round in a very tight diameter and could be cut in half and you would have 2 ends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000