Anyone into guns??

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I got a little collection. I will admit I'm no expert. I recently added to the collection with an inexpensive S&W M&P AR15 Sport. Fun little AR that's well worth the low price.

Right now it's bone stock, I'm looking to modify it. Any of you guys into these? If so what's some good cheap mods to make it more "tactical" but better in function?

Rail / forward grip
Laser Red Dot
Grip
Strap
???

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Are you a California resident Joey only ask cuz come 2017 -18 certain things on your list of mods won't be legal unless it's registered as an AW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
The forward grip,adjustable stock,pistol grip and flash hider.only way to keep it the way it is is to register it with the DOJ as an AW.but after you do that you can never sell it or pass it on to a family member and it can never leave the state.only way to not have to deal with all that is to go featureless.

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
I know the forward grip is the only one on your list but I figured I'd list everything else to.

Reactions: JoeyD23

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Yes,I'd do a full length full floating rail and a nice red dot call it good.you chose a really good reliable rifle to by the way you will be very happy with it.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Yes,I'd do a full length full floating rail and a nice red dot call it good.you chose a really good reliable rifle to by the way you will be very happy with it.

If I got full length do I lose the iron site?

Any recommendation on rail? I see some and they are legit but I'm not building a show piece here. I just want something quality without dropping bank.

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Yes you would have to replace the iron site with a pop up sight magpul makes nice ones.as far as the rail the cheaper ones are the heaviest and the nicer ones from bravo company,Daniel defense etc will be a little more but a lot lighter

Reactions: JoeyD23 and warlock

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Yes you would have to replace the iron site with a pop up sight magpul makes nice ones.as far as the rail the cheaper ones are the heaviest and the nicer ones from bravo company,Daniel defense etc will be a little more but a lot lighter

I love my Daniel Defense.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Living in California it's best not to talk or advertise what Semi Auto's you might have, especially on a forum. This state and its laws are making law abiding citizens take their stuff underground.

BTW you have until Dec 21's to purchase your complete AR's or lowers because of the 10 day wait period. Jan 1st it will be illegal to buy or sell any AR style gun or lower receivers.

Just remember once you have a serialed lower receiver, you can buy the rest of the parts legally when you want. It's then up to you what rules you want to follow to make it legal. You want to leave it with pistol grips, adjustable stock, no bullet button, any flash muzzle, then you can register it as an assault weapon with the DOJ by 2018. But now they know what you have and can request inspections of you weapons at any time (Yes that's part of the new laws, annual inspections.) Also you will not be able to hand it down to a family member or sell it or leave the state with it. All will be Felonys! You must turn it over to the DOJ, and when you die they will confiscate it, so it can destroyed.

If you don't want the State Government to know what you got, but want to stay legal. You could make the stock non movable, remove the pistol grips and replace with a lay back grip. Put the new version of a bullet button on and change the muzzle to a non flash suppress and it's now just a magazine loaded riffle that shoots .223.

If you have a 80% lower, "kit gun"' well that's more red tape that I'm still very, very confused about.

Let's hope that some of these laws end up in the courts and get overturned! It's the Citizens only hope! Also just remember the way the law was written Jerry Brown, his hope and predecessor Gavin Newsome (Aka Satin) and other state officials can own whatever they want as these new laws don't apply to them. Why was that part of the law?

Reactions: utvwolfpack

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Do you have to resight the weapon once you replace the iron sight with a new one? Sorry for all the Qs.

Going to mod out my Glock23 a little too. Plan to have Chris at Damato Custom Stippling do my receiver and maybe do a cerakote finish on the slide. Light and site as well.

I'm totally green. Have had guns a long time but all stock. Never played much with them but need to get with the times. lol

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Living in California it's best not to talk or advertise what Semi Auto's you might have, especially on a forum. This state and its laws are making law abiding citizens take their stuff underground.

BTW you have until Dec 21's to purchase your complete AR's or lowers because of the 10 day wait period. Jan 1st it will be illegal to buy or sell any AR style gun or lower receivers.

Just remember once you have a serialed lower receiver, you can buy the rest of the parts legally when you want. It's then up to you what rules you want to follow to make it legal. You want to leave it with pistol grips, adjustable stock, no bullet button, any flash muzzle, then you can register it as an assault weapon with the DOJ by 2018. But now they know what you have and can request inspections of you weapons at any time (Yes that's part of the new laws, annual inspections.) Also you will not be able to hand it down to a family member or sell it. You must turn it over to the DOJ, and when you die they will confiscate it, so it can destroyed.

If you don't want the State Government to know what you got, but want to stay legal. You could make the stock non movable, remove the pistol grips and replace with a lay back grip. Put the new version of a bullet button on and change the muzzle to a non flash suppress and it's now just a magazine loaded riffle that shoots .223.

If you have a 80% lower, "kit gun"' well that's more red tape that I'm still very, very confused about.

Let's hope that some of these laws end up in the courts and get overturned! It's the Citizens only hope! Also just remember the way the law was written Jerry Brown, his hope and predecessor Gavin Newsome (Aka Satin) and other state officials can own whatever they want as these new laws don't apply to them. Why was that part of the law?
Is the bullet button now illegal?? I thought you had to have a bullet button in CA?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Per the California State Attorney office 2015 report. Firearms used in crimes statistics show. 81.8% of firearm crimes used a hand gun. Most hand guns used the 9mm Lugar. 11.6 percent used a Riffle, but less the 4% of those riffles were assault riffles. Lastly the Shotgun was used 6.6% in a crime. So these new laws were written because less then 4% of gun crimes in California used what they would call an assault riffle?

California State Attorney office.
Firearm Types
The 121 qualifying firearms examined during the reporting period included 99 handguns (81.8 percent),14 rifles (11.6 percent), eight shotguns (6.6 percent), and no machine guns. Four firearms (3.3 percent) were assault weapons (as defined in Pen. Code §§ 30510 and 30515) and four firearms (3.3 percent) were classified as a short-barreled shotguns or rifles. The most commonly encountered caliber was 9mm Luger, followed by 45 ACP and 40 S&W.

So do you think Jerry Browns gun laws are going to fix crime? I'm thinking he's looking in the wrong place! Then again he and his cronies don't really care about crime, if they did they would be looking at Sanctuary Cities and knifes, as 5X more people die by knives then guns.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Is the bullet button now illegal?? I thought you had to have a bullet button in CA?
Yes the magazine release"bullet button" you most likely have will be illegal and be a Felony if you are caught with it, and if not registered as an Assault Riffle with the DOJ. The new legal "botton"' will be a pin and levor. You will pull the hinge pin to open the upper & lower, then where your bullet button is, will be a levor that only after the gun is opened will release the mag. Again a joke, but this design was invented by the guy who invented the bullet button, which was invented to get around the first ban back in 99. He read this new law and made a mag release, as the idea of the law was to keep you from being able to remove the magazine at all.

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Yes the magazine release"bullet button" you most likely have will be illegal and be a Felony if you are caught with it, and if not registered as an Assault Riffle with the DOJ. The new legal "botton"' will be a pin and levor. You will pull the hinge pin to open the upper & lower, then where your bullet button is, will be a levor that only after the gun is opened will release the mag. Again a joke, but this design was invented by the guy who invented the bullet button, which was invented to get around the first ban back in 99. He read this new law and made a mag release, as the idea of the law was to keep you from being able to remove the magazine at all.
You only have to replace the bullet button with new style if registered as AW but if you go featureless you can remove it all together correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000