Hoonigan / Can-Am Team Up For Viral Video in X3's

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Thanks for sharing the link here. Been jamming on the road all day.

What did you guys think of the video?

Straight up? I think it's super cheesy and underwhelming considering what Hoonigan can and usually puts out. It is fun to watch from an entertainment standpoint but I guess my expectations were higher knowing BJ and Block were involved.

It was cool that Dustin was included but I think it's a let down that instead of seeing other can-am UTV racers or drivers included they stuck some random dudes in there. Forsberg is a great drift racer but the other dudes, I guess they are Hoonigans and since it's their video and not technically can-am I guess it makes sense?

General comments seem to reflect that most people dig it. I've had people text me saying otherwise but I think they lay on the fact they were expecting a Gymkhana / Recoil / XP1K style video.

One thing is for sure, the Ken Block marketing machine of Hoonigan and Monster energy will guarantee millions of views which is what can-am paid for so in the end that's great for everyone in the sport like me who wants to see it grow. I'm stoked they did this video and hope they do a ton more and aren't just in it for the money but the actual love of the sport. We know Dustin is the real deal and I am the most stoked for him. He's getting a lot of attention these days and this sport needs more personalities.

Kudos to Hoonigan and to can-am! Can't wait for the next one!

groundforce

Oct 10, 2011
Lavon, TX
www.youtube.com
@JoeyD23 Definitely agree super cheesy with the announcer and videogame lookalike graphics. While maybe not intentional i feel the Hoonigans have kinda branded themselves this way. Both Gymkhana series and the Recoil series have their share of cheesiness mixed in with the awesomeness. I think part of what throws this one off is the cheesiness is interruptive. so it stops the flow of the action. They're Cheesy, odd, quirky guys that like to go fast.

Also agree with your last point. While not really our cup of tea, I'd watch some more as they came out. And It is definitely good exposure for the growth of the industry.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Thought it was alright....wasn't expecting it to raise the bar in what UTV's can do, or having any jaw dropping moments, but was entertaining to watch. Just like the recent Gymkhana doesn't have the same effect as they first few did back then, it will continue to be harder as we've seen XP1K and other vids. However, some big air or mashing huge whoops wouldn't have hurt either.

Reactions: JoeyD23

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
It was Ok for what it was and I think they could expand on it in a fun direction and add some more Laps and keep growing it into something Kinda fun.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Just watched it, I was not crazy impressed, but it was entertaining, definitely could have done without the 90's style video game announcer and graphics...i fully expected to hear "finish him" at some point haha! Just my feelings but of course i am by no means a measure of what is cool these days.

It was great to see a couple of off road personalities involved Bj as expected but Dustin Jones was a nice surprise.

Only thing missing was the Sasquatch from Recoil 3

It wasn't on par with the Block's drifting movies or the XP1K series of videos but i don't know that it was meant to be that caliber, who knows what the budgets were and such.

One thing about the X3 i did notice is the 1st like 4 jumps it bucked in the rear and gave a nose down stance, obviously just a shock tuning issue but i think it is something to take note of before you go out and yard sale your brand new toy.

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
One thing about the X3 i did notice is the 1st like 4 jumps it bucked in the rear and gave a nose down stance, obviously just a shock tuning issue but i think it is something to take note of before you go out and yard sale your brand new toy.
I noticed that as well but I think it had more to do with the design of the jump being short. Also all those cars had king shocks, not to sure how much love they got with valving. I would actually think that the new Fox IBP shocks would work even better.

Reactions: warlock

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I noticed that as well but I think it had more to do with the design of the jump being short. Also all those cars had king shocks, not to sure how much love they got with valving. I would actually think that the new Fox IBP shocks would work even better.
You are right about that, the ramp length definitely was not doing them any favors. I also didn't realized they all had kings in the video, over looked that...who knows what the valving was.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Just watched it, I was not crazy impressed, but it was entertaining, definitely could have done without the 90's style video game announcer and graphics...i fully expected to hear "finish him" at some point haha! Just my feelings but of course i am by no means a measure of what is cool these days.

It was great to see a couple of off road personalities involved Bj as expected but Dustin Jones was a nice surprise.

Only thing missing was the Sasquatch from Recoil 3

It wasn't on par with the Block's drifting movies or the XP1K series of videos but i don't know that it was meant to be that caliber, who knows what the budgets were and such.

Jump ramp was short.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
It looks like the cars in the first part of the video may have a turning brake on the front wheels. They are driving one handed doing the doughnuts around the hay bails and it looks like the driver is reaching for a turning brake.

Last edited:

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
I'm Always surprised seeing the RG SST trucks launch to flat on asphalt at speed with those short ass ramps.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
Was hoping for a recoil gymkhana style video .. didn't care for the Nintendo game thing .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000