New Yamaha?

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
If there making videos of it then somebody will spill the beans....it's funny how it shows a RZR being left in the dust

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
I went out to glamis back in early 2013 testing with a customer. We went on a Tuesday to put in at gecko and Yamaha had everything roped off where you couldn't pull down gecko. They had 3 18wheeler rigs down there and some machines I couldn't clearly see. But I knew it wasn't a rhino or anything of the sort.

I knew then, Yamaha wouldn't have done the necessary work to hide themselves from the general public and be able to rope off gecko rd if they weren't testing something serious. I have been waiting for it. Not sure what it is, what it's called, or the specifics. I just know they apparently have been testing something for quite some time. I am sure they have done enough testing to get it right.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
They all test & do their private demo rides in Glamis it seems. Polaris was out there with their latest XP a month or so ago. Several involved with Polaris were invited to drive and give feedback.

But Adam your right Yamaha has been working on something for a while now. What we see today has been in the works for years, and that is for all the manufactures. Almost a year before the XP1000 came out a guy who rides around the Parker AZ got a glimps of what we know as the XP1000 on his GoPro. He had it mounted on his chest protector and as the two past each other you could see the XP had partial body work, a lap top mounted to the passenger grab bar and box strapped to the passenger seat.

Almost two years ago during the V2R I was chasing for the Lofton class 1 car. In the chase truck we all got talking about UTV's. One of the other crew guys was telling me that his son raced outdoor Motocross. He rode a Yamaha and even though a privateer, the manufactures had reps and engineers who spoke with all the riders who rode their bikes. He said the engineer guy with Yamaha (he said his name, but I dont remember) who they had known & seen at most of the races quit showing up to the races. A new guy was showing up, but they did not get to know him, then his son got hurt and had to park the bike for awhile.

Fast forward a year later at Supercross they run into the first guy at Yamaha. They asked him where he went? Expecting to hear him say another company. He said he was still with Yamaha, but he was part of a new R&D dept that was working on recreational vehicles. He said he could not discuss much, but that many guys within the company from several of the different Motorsport Divisions were transferred to this new program.

Shortly after that the Viking was released. Even though its just a rebodied Rhino, it showed that this new division was legit. And as the guy on Lofton's team said, why take members from other Motorsports engineering depts if your only redoing the Rhino? Makes you think Yamaha was investing the time and resources to build other types of vehicles? It will be interesting to see if this is the year Yamaha gets into the Sport Market? Since hearing this years ago I assumed Yamaha would get back into the SXS market, but with what?

Also heard years ago KTM put a recreational vehicle R&D dept together and yet we have never seen anything from them. So I guess just because a manufacture explores the possibility does not mean it will become reality.

Last edited:

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
The video says it all. Sliding turns, rapid acceleration and they show it leaving a RZR in the dust. They are telling the market they are finally ready to play. The UTV market needs this in a bad way. Polaris owns it now, Can-Am well it's from Canada so....... We need something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brian B

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
yes,..we've been waiting for desert footage.........I know I have.....

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Can't wait to see it at the Sand Show in Sept. I bet some of the aftermarket guys get some pre-production ones to deck out for the Sand Show.

Poor Can Am releases the 131hp monster and all the websites are talking about this video from Yamaha! LOL!

mssandslinger

Rhino Parts & Performance - Official UTVUndergroun
Oct 18, 2009
AZ
I will get my Hopes up! Yamaha needs a break! They took one for the whole UTV team with all the lawsuits, Its just a matter of time before they are back on top.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Does anybody know for sure if the video was even released by Yamaha? and it is not a hoax?

I hope it is a new Yamaha, I love all of the new models in the sport market, the more the merrier

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I've been waiting a long time for this!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000