Maverick down!!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
after 16.2 hours and 244 miles of complete excitement i decided to change the fluids.

i started by drainning the oil from the motor and found some parts stuck to the magnetic drain plug. :eek:

I also pulled the oil filter and found no metal of any kind on the filter. There was only a little dusting of metal on the magnetic plug, nothing more than new wear metal in my opinion.

i went through the exploded parts view of the engine and found nothing that looks like the parts i found.

the pin is about 1/8" diameter and 1.5" long, smashed in the middle and broken. also they have been chewed up pretty good.

i dropped it off Friday and the dealer has the old oil and broken parts. They have contacted BRP and started a casse and BRP asked for pictures to be sent to them which the dealer has.

I will call BRP monday afternoon to see what they are going to do.

replace the engine?

remove the engine and inspect?

put oil in it and drive it to see if anything happens?

all i know is i am a very impatient person and i want to ride NOW!!!!

FABWERX1

May 31, 2011
My guess is they are rollers from a needle bearing. I would hope they replace the motor in a timely manner and not wait to tear the other one apart .

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Wow, thats a bummer. I suppose this is when a lot of guys will watch and see how BRP handles it. It seems like manufactures take care of warranty work way better than the after market warranty companies do. Hopefully they take care of it quickly and make it right for you man.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
That sucks mike. Our friend James from IMG Motorsports took his brand new Maverick to Glamis for New Years. Within the first hour the entire clutch ripped out destroying the clutch and the clutch cover. He took it in and it is a warranty issue but there are no parts available. He had to run a commander clutch on it last night so he could race it. No end in site for the new parts. I hope you get this dialed in. No fun having a brand new machine down.

KEN1

Mar 14, 2011
Mesa, AZ.
all i know is i am a very impatient person and i want to ride NOW!!!!
You are handling this better then I would.I would demand my money back in full.Screw a new engine!You shelled out over $20,000 for that machine and this happens.If they do replace the motor I would demand an extended warranty at no cost.I think you are going to be out of a ride for a long time.Atleast you have the T4.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Can-Am and no parts is pretty normal, remember the diff issues of the commander

transcribed by carrier pigeon for Tapatalk

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Makes you wonder if you took it into the local shop if they would have told you about the metal in the oil????? Main reason I do all of my oil changes, but according to "extended warranty company" is against the rules.... Void warranties if the "dealer" doesn't change you oil, bolt on your doors, install your lights, wipe your butt :rolleyes: I hope this works out for you in a timely manner, I know there are more than a couple people on this board contemplating buying a meverick and will pay close attention to this thread. thanks for the info.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
... I know there are more than a couple people on this board contemplating buying a meverick and will pay close attention to this thread. thanks for the info.
Subscribed...also considering the Mavrick....

Edit-> another clutch bolt failure on the m a v forum, with pictures. Material failure? Torque or lack of? Design issue (this drivetrain is not new)?

Last edited:

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I called BRP today and they said thier desision was to run the machine as much as i wanted to. I am waiting on a call from my dealer telling me the same thing.

i am pleased with the fast decision but the decision to run it and see what happens is kinda shitty.

My thought is they dont know what the pin was from and want me to drive it and see if any problems come up. I am ok with that untill i have an issue after the 6 month warranty is up.

in the mean time i guess i will continue driving it like i stole it.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Just make sure to bring your TOW-ROPE.....and a buddy :rolleyes: I was lucky enough to have a good group of friends when my motor failed, hopefully you will too....actually, on second thought, I hope you don't have a failure. That would suck!!!!

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Just make sure to bring your TOW-ROPE.....and a buddy :rolleyes: I was lucky enough to have a good group of friends when my motor failed, hopefully you will too
Yea, no sh!t...Hey Mike, can the lemon law help you out and get you a new rig?

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
the clutch failure is from assembly lube not being cleaned off the crank end during install. the clutch slips on the crank end under load, tightening the center clutch bolt, eventually snapping it and the clutch falls off the hub.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I only know 3 people that have Mavericks. 2 have had problems. Maybe the manufacture is trying to push the motors, clutches and shocks to hard?

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i hate hearing this stuff. first the rzr issues, and now this. i test fitted the jagged x rzr and the mav last week. im not going back to a 2006 rhino. looks like t4 for awhile until they get the bugs out. i hope the new bigger hp900 jagged x is rock solid. :cool:

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
the clutches are a contamination issue on the surface during assembly. the ones that got cleaned properly before the primary clutch was installed are fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000