What Desert Tires For RZR 1000?????

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Dot doesn't mean anything unless all you do is street driving. The three pounds is not much. Rather have heavier tire than flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
So what would you say is the most versatile 30/10/14 on the market?

At this point it seems like the Kahuna is. Rounded and not overly heavy yet is still a DOT approved radial.
Tough to say, as I have not used any other All Terrain tire but the Cutthroat on a UTV. I chose the GMZ Cutthroat because of my past racing & Baja knowledge and what has worked for me, plus I was looking for a 28" tire. When you go to an All Terrain tire, you will never get a true "Great" All Terrain. Its going to be good in some or many places, but lack in others. The tighter the tread the better wear you will see, and less chance of tread punctures. But you will not see the same performance in the sand or mud.

If I was looking for a 30" All Terrain UTV tire I would most definitely look and consider the GMZ Kahuna as I have been impressed with their Cutthroat tire and the Kahuna is D.O.T approved if that is important to you. The ITP UltraCross looks to be the winning tire in the UTV 1900 class, so it should not be overlooked, but its not D.O.T.
It will be interesting to see how the new BFG KR2 UTV race tire does. Problem is the $250 price tag per tire, does not entice me to try them. All 3 tires I listed all share many of the same design traits. They are lighter weight nylon cord bias ply and rounded tread.

I think most UTV "All Terrain" tires are going to work OK. Some might work a little better in one area vs another, but I would think for the average consumer one of the more popular brands will be fine. Lots of people seem to be raving over the Steel Belted Tensor tire, as they are looking for long tire wear and super strong sidewalls. It will be interesting to see what people think of them in a few years, as I remember a couple of years ago the Mongrel was the tire of choice, and now all you hear is complaining about sidewall pinching or punctures.

Last edited:

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
It does to me with the way the AZ law is written in regards to whether helmets have to be worn by occupants under 18.

3 lbs inside the vehicle won't make a difference I agree but, tire weight on under powered vehicles like a 4 seat RZR, it makes a big difference.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Tough to say, as I have not used any other All Terrain tire but the Cutthroat on a UTV. I chose the GMZ Cutthroat because of my past racing & Baja knowledge and what has worked for me, plus I was looking for a 28" tire. When you go to an All Terrain tire, you will never get a true "Great" All Terrain. Its going to be good in some or many places, but lack in others. The tighter the tread the better wear you will see, and less chance of tread punctures. But you will not see the same performance in the sand or mud.

If I was looking for a 30" All Terrain UTV tire I would most definitely look and consider the GMZ Kahuna as I have been impressed with their Cutthroat tire and the Kahuna is D.O.T approved if that is important to you. The ITP UltraCross looks to be the winning tire in the UTV 1900 class, so it should not be overlooked, but its not D.O.T.
It will be interesting to see how the new BFG KR2 UTV race tire does. Problem is the $250 price tag per tire, does not entice me to try them. All 3 tires I listed all share many of the same design traits. They are lighter weight bias ply and rounded tread.

I think most UTV "All Terrain" tires are going to work OK. Some might work a little better in one area vs another, but I would think for the average consumer one of the more popular brands will be fine. Lots of people seem to be raving over the Steel Belted Tensor tire, as they are looking for long tire wear and super strong sidewalls. It will be interesting to see what people think of them in a few years, as I remember a couple of years ago the Mongrel was the tire of choice, and now all you hear is complaining about sidewall pinching or punctures.
The Kahuna is a bias ply?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Dot doesn't mean anything unless all you do is street driving. The three pounds is not much. Rather have heavier tire than flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D.O.T does mean something more then just if your going to drive on the street. In order to be D.O.T approved you have to meet stringent specs and requirements that a non D.O.T tire would not go through. A D.O.T tire in theory would have a better quality control, as a non D.O.T tire will not have to meet or be tested by those standards.

Its like racing seat belts. All the major racing brands are SFI certified, and they have to meet stringent testing requirements. Every racing series requires that your seat belts are SFI certified in order to race. Then you have brands like ProArmor and and several others that are not SFI certified. Sure they do the same thing, and in any non racing sanctioned event, should work just fine, but the fact is they could be made of cheaper Chinese webbing, maybe cast steal latches & buckles, vs the forged that is required to be SFI. You lose the Quality Control and responsibility when you are not certified or required to meet a standard.

Anytime you are following a spec or are certificated you are going to be held to a higher standard, and 9 out or 10 times you will find a better more consistent made product by those companies.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
The Kahuna is a bias ply?
Yes the Kahuna's are Nylon Corded tires. All tires, even bias ply nylon cord tires will have steel in the bead ring of the tire, but where they will not have steel is in the casing of the tire like the upper sidewall or under the tread casing. What GMZ, ITP, BFG and any other Bias Ply tire that I can think of are using is a Nylon cord in place of the Steel cord.

BTW the very popular General Tire Grabber that you see on many of the TT's CLass 1's and other truck classes in Score & BITD. Yes the the General Grabber is a Nylon Cord tire. TT's , Spec TT's and class 1's are running a Nylon Cord tire with their 700+ HP engines.

Last edited:

Don.Zing

Jul 27, 2015
Does anyone have experience or opinions on mounting 32" tires on stock XP 1000 wheels? Obviously people have run 32" tires on aftermarket 7" wide wheels, but curious if anyone has run them on the stock widths (6" front, 8" rear)?

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I rode with a guy with the tensor tires this weekend. He had them on his 4 seater. He had a flat pretty quick into the ride. He did not seem overly impressed with them.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Strange place for a cut! The picture is pretty zoomed in, so its hard to tell, but it looks like that is a beadlock wheel and, I would think that cut is very close to the rim lip or beadlock ring? I'm I correct? How old are the tires?

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
It does to me with the way the AZ law is written in regards to whether helmets have to be worn by occupants under 18.

3 lbs inside the vehicle won't make a difference I agree but, tire weight on under powered vehicles like a 4 seat RZR, it makes a big difference.
Have a 7 yr old daughter and am not up on this information, do you have a link or a website i could check out to school myself.

Thx

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00101.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

It says it has to satisfy all of the following.....

3. "All-terrain vehicle" means either of the following:

(a) A motor vehicle that satisfies all of the following:

(i) Is designed primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel.

(ii) Is fifty or fewer inches in width.

(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand two hundred pounds or less.

(iv) Travels on three or more nonhighway tires.

(v) Is operated on a public highway.

(b) A recreational off-highway vehicle that satisfies all of the following:

(i) Is designed primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel.

(ii) Is sixty-five or fewer inches in width.

(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand eight hundred pounds or less.

(iv) Travels on four or more nonhighway tires.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000