The 30" vs. 32"- Thoughts on Both

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
I would like to go to 32" tires on my XP4Turbo but want to find the lightest/best desert tire. It looks to be either the Mongrels or ITP ultracross. Whats the tire/rim sizes for 32" tires? Also Ratoutahell why did you go to that offset of tire and not stick with like 5+2?

BRONCOBOY

Sep 22, 2014
Temecula
I have run Mongrels and ITP's, The last set of 30" Mongrels worked good but I had several flats and anyone in our camp experience flats also on Mongrels. Mostly sidewall damage and pinching the bead right at the wheel. Bottom line no flats on the ITP's and I like the way they handle.

So this past New Years I was able to get some seat time on the 32" ITP's, love the larger Dia especially in the rocks. Car felt slow but you made up for it in the rough sections because you can carry more speed everywhere. My car is a new BITD build and weighs in at 1780 pounds, stock motor with a alba re flash and a dirty dog clutch, tires have been shaved with billet hubs which shaved 3.5 pounds off the combo. I set up a clutch tuning with Adam at airdamn clutch's, we turned the clutch with my stock 2 seat gear set. He suggested I change to the Highlifter gear set which is a 15% lower ratio to take some stress of the belt.
After Adam worked his magic and re-tuned the clutch the car felt pretty good and accelerated great. Top speed on the pavement was 79mph on GPS and pulled well in the dirt. Keep in mind I did not change from a stock tire set up so I dont know how much it will change a stock car. Biggest concern I have is the Axles during a race - well see at UTV world Championships

killer toy

Jan 6, 2016
So it's been touched on a few times this but nothing super direct for my instance looking for advice

I hate my tires so I need new ones.
Currently have bfg mt 31x10.5x15 and their much to heavy I can kill belts pretty easy. And the handling is pretty bad too in the desert. (Super skatey and have tried lotsa different air pressures)

I had 30" mongrels and they worked much better but I did have a couple flats I went to the bfg to try something different really

So I'm on the fence between the 32 itp ultracross or 30 ultracross or 32 mongrel
I had a few friends race the 1000 and kill a few mongrels I've talked to others that did and love their itps. I do like the idea of trying something else yet again. I am faily gun shy about the weight of the 32 itp but my bfg on a Msa m21 was 63lbs on a home scale I believe the 30 mongrel on same wheel was 47 so I can't see the 32 being super bad but it is heavier than 30.

What should I do ????

My details.
2014 2seat xp1k
Queen racing flash
Hmf exhaust
Dalton clutch kit
Razor back belt guadge
Holz re valved/ springed shocks and arms
Tmw cage and bumper and tire carrier
Tool box with a fair amount of tools/ gear

No idea on actual weight of rzr assume heavy hahah

I'm Canadian but the rzr lives and spends most it's time riding in Parker AZ. Do plan to travel with it fairly often (Moab, baja, anywhere else I get the ambition to go)
I have raced abit for fun, azop and dirt riot plan to do more.
Do like to play in the rocks when I can

So I really like the idea of the 32 for reasons stated in the thread (rolling size, clearance, ability to hit bumps faster ) I have upgraded just about everything but hubs that should fail. My biggest fear is the belt and loss of power

What should I do ?? 30 or 32 mongrel or ITP ??

Doing the Parker pre run on my bfg's unles someone coming to the race that wants to deliver me some new skins but go back to Canada in a week and a bit and would like to have the new tires mounted for when I return its straight to KOH

where does a guy buy tires these days ? Who's the best price or fastest to ship

Thanks
Tommy

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Killer, if I were you and I was going to stick with 15" wheels, I'd get the 32" ITP's. They're bullet proof.

My local dealer sells the 32" Mongrels for $150 each. And I wanted to stay with a 14" wheel, due to the fact that they run 3 or 4 lbs less then the same wheel in a 15". The 32" Mongrel weights 38 lbs.

If you can wait 6 months or so, there will be a few more options in 32" tires.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Killer, if I were you and I was going to stick with 15" wheels, I'd get the 32" ITP's. They're bullet proof.

My local dealer sells the 32" Mongrels for $150 each. And I wanted to stay with a 14" wheel, due to the fact that they run 3 or 4 lbs less then the same wheel in a 15". The 32" Mongrel weights 38 lbs.

If you can wait 6 months or so, there will be a few more options in 32" tires.
Did you mean to say that you would stick with 14" wheels?

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Nope. I was telling the poster above my post, killer toy, that since he currently has tires on 15 inch wheels he would probably want to stay with 15 inch wheels. And if that's the case then I would just do the 32" ITP's. Those tires and the BFG's made a UTV both only come in a 15 inch. But I personally want to stay with 14 inch wheels because they weigh less than 15 inchers.

Reactions: Rynomx785

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Nope. I was telling the poster above my post, killer toy, that since he currently has tires on 15 inch wheels he would probably want to stay with 15 inch wheels. And if that's the case then I would just do the 32" ITP's. Those tires and the BFG's made a UTV both only come in a 15 inch. But I personally want to stay with 14 inch wheels because they weigh less than 15 inchers.
Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.

I am sticking with 14's as well. Especially if you are considering adding the weight of 32's.I can't believe how much heavier the 15" wheels are. UTV Inc started a thread on the RZR forum selling Method 401's. They said the 15" 401 weighs 23 lbs. A lot more than I was expecting. Makes me wonder if the 14" model actually weighs the claimed 14.2 lbs.

Tzenev

Jul 9, 2013
Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.

I am sticking with 14's as well. Especially if you are considering adding the weight of 32's.I can't believe how much heavier the 15" wheels are. UTV Inc started a thread on the RZR forum selling Method 401's. They said the 15" 401 weighs 23 lbs. A lot more than I was expecting. Makes me wonder if the 14" model actually weighs the claimed 14.2 lbs.
They probably weigh that. My 14" racelines weigh 15 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rynomx785

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
So it's been touched on a few times this but nothing super direct for my instance looking for advice

I hate my tires so I need new ones.
Currently have bfg mt 31x10.5x15 and their much to heavy I can kill belts pretty easy. And the handling is pretty bad too in the desert. (Super skatey and have tried lotsa different air pressures)

I had 30" mongrels and they worked much better but I did have a couple flats I went to the bfg to try something different really

So I'm on the fence between the 32 itp ultracross or 30 ultracross or 32 mongrel
I had a few friends race the 1000 and kill a few mongrels I've talked to others that did and love their itps. I do like the idea of trying something else yet again. I am faily gun shy about the weight of the 32 itp but my bfg on a Msa m21 was 63lbs on a home scale I believe the 30 mongrel on same wheel was 47 so I can't see the 32 being super bad but it is heavier than 30.

What should I do ????

My details.
2014 2seat xp1k
Queen racing flash
Hmf exhaust
Dalton clutch kit
Razor back belt guadge
Holz re valved/ springed shocks and arms
Tmw cage and bumper and tire carrier
Tool box with a fair amount of tools/ gear

No idea on actual weight of rzr assume heavy hahah

I'm Canadian but the rzr lives and spends most it's time riding in Parker AZ. Do plan to travel with it fairly often (Moab, baja, anywhere else I get the ambition to go)
I have raced abit for fun, azop and dirt riot plan to do more.
Do like to play in the rocks when I can

So I really like the idea of the 32 for reasons stated in the thread (rolling size, clearance, ability to hit bumps faster ) I have upgraded just about everything but hubs that should fail. My biggest fear is the belt and loss of power

What should I do ?? 30 or 32 mongrel or ITP ??

Doing the Parker pre run on my bfg's unles someone coming to the race that wants to deliver me some new skins but go back to Canada in a week and a bit and would like to have the new tires mounted for when I return its straight to KOH

where does a guy buy tires these days ? Who's the best price or fastest to ship

Thanks
Tommy
You know you can fix the killing of the belts, with some changes in clutching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000