Same size front and rear tires?

JonnyR

Mar 31, 2012
So the time has come for me to get new tires on my 2012 XP900 and I like the idea of running the same size front and rear tire/wheel package. I'd like to step up to a 28" tire and a 14" rim but I'm not sure if I should just stick with 27s and 12s. Keep in mind my XP is bone stock engine wise and i don't plan on doing anything other than a UMP intake. 90% of my driving is high speed desert terrain. Does anybody have any good advice for me? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
keep the 12's you already have and then wrap them with GBC Mongrels or one of the other tires that is equally symmetrical, they work great all the same size. Plus makes it easier to keep spares around.

JonnyR

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for the reply skunx. I plan on ditching the stock wheels regardless. Ill be going with either the 12" or 14" Method beadlocks.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Thanks for the reply skunx. I plan on ditching the stock wheels regardless. Ill be going with either the 12" or 14" Method beadlocks.

Unless you're planning on running a 30" or larger tire stay away from 14" wheels. I know they look cool but the larger sidewall will give you a better ride and less chance of pinching the side wall and blowing out the tire:eek: It's an off road vehicle, not an Escalade :D

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
I would tend to agree with James........and BTW if it's dez riding you might be just fine with your stock wheels........the 12" wheel with the tire combo James noted will help "fill" when in rough desert terrain, but still keep weight down and give you better wheel spin.......the stock rims are not bad at all.

the beadlock may prove to give you less value than you might think, particularly if you carry a spare and go to standard size all around.......(while the wheel guys may not like this) spend the money on known areas of weakness, frame gusseting, trailing arm weak points etc....

JonnyR

Mar 31, 2012
One of my main reasons for ditching the stock wheels is I can't stand the way they look. From the day I got my XP i always thought the tire and wheel package looked too small. We're a distributor for Method so now that my stock tires have worn, I figured its time to upgrade everything. I plan on having a booth at the Sand Sports show with my XP and a new XP1k that we're building so I'd like them both to stand out. As of now I'm really leaning towards 14" methods and 28" mongrels.

Attachments

JonnyR

Mar 31, 2012
So I decided on 14" Method Beadlocks and 28 x 10 x 14 Mongrels. I drove up to GBC this morning to grab the tires and I'm hoping to have the wheels by the end of the week. Fingers crossed!!

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I currently have 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 big horns on my rhino and I ordered a full set of 27x10x14 motoclaws yesterday. I personally like the 14s for less sidewall roll on turns. I hope the 8plys are as good as they sound. I wanted to try a set of the mongrels but didnt really want to put a lift on to clear 28s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I currently have 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 big horns on my rhino and I ordered a full set of 27x10x14 motoclaws yesterday. I personally like the 14s for less sidewall roll on turns. I hope the 8plys are as good as they sound. I wanted to try a set of the mongrels but didnt really want to put a lift on to clear 28s.

The Mongrels run small, you probably would be fine with 28s. Motoclaws are great tires though

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I hope so, we are planning a spring trip out to hatfield mccoy trails and I want to take a spare so thats my main reason for switching. Hopefully with a badass 8ply I wont need a spare though.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
hmmm. i was just getting ready to ask if anybody is using all same size tires for spare reasons. i was gonna ask what size most of you go with. thanx for the ideas. ;)

JonnyR

Mar 31, 2012
Here's a picture of my XP900 with the new setup next to our customers brand new XP1000 we just finished. Unfortunately the 1000 didn't look that nice at the end of our video shoot. I only put around 10 miles on mine with the new tires but so far it's a night and day difference and believe it or not, quicker off the line than the 1000.

Attachments

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
4 same size tires look badass on a rzr. i wonder what they look like on a teryx. just got my spare today. i want to do all 5 the same soon.

SXSPerformance.com

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Nov 10, 2011
Ontario, CA
Our T-4 and our Teryx 750 are running the same size tire all the way around. We have been very happy with the performance. Both cars are running 28" tall tires.

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I finally got my 27x10x14 EFX Motoclaws all the way around my Rhino. I really like the way it handles, it feels more nimble through the woods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000