Positive post on Race Desert for UTV's - need your help!

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
We ran in the middle of the TT's until the very finish...and my comment to Casey at the end was how good the TT's were to us across the board..most went off the course to get around us... now most of you are saying, Why did they have to go around you? why didnt you pull over and let them by..I dont know anyone else's experience at this particular race, but it was a very silty- dusty course and we couldnt see 10 ft behind us from our own dust cloud we were sending up (most of the time on the open open roads- the washes were different). Once in a while we could see some very bight lights approaching but that was few and far between..they close SOOOO fast that they are on you...never heard one SIREN..and yes most run Sirens that I have seen. When we did get passed we would totally get dusted out and totally blinded and we'd have to pull over just in case a 2nd TT was in the 1st dust...its scary shit out there with them..rarely do we hear or see cars closing on us...when we do we do try to get over ASAP- I have said it before but I think most of the other UTV's need better horns too...I know Matt only has a hand held air horn... I never hear him before he taps (politely though)

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
We ran in the middle of the TT's until the very finish...and my comment to Casey at the end was how good the TT's were to us across the board..most went off the course to get around us... now most of you are saying, Why did they have to go around you? why didnt you pull over and let them by..I dont know anyone else's experience at this particular race, but it was a very silty- dusty course and we couldnt see 10 ft behind us from our own dust cloud we were sending up (most of the time on the open open roads- the washes were different). Once in a while we could see some very bight lights approaching but that was few and far between..they close SOOOO fast that they are on you...never heard one SIREN..and yes most run Sirens that I have seen. When we did get passed we would totally get dusted out and totally blinded and we'd have to pull over just in case a 2nd TT was in the 1st dust...its scary shit out there with them..rarely do we hear or see cars closing on us...when we do we do try to get over ASAP- I have said it before but I think most of the other UTV's need better horns too...I know Matt only has a hand held air horn... I never hear him before he taps (politely though)
Ahem...I have two air horns and a 112 db electic horn. I'll bet that is more horn than any other UTV.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Ahem...I have two air horns and a 112 db electic horn. I'll bet that is more horn than any other UTV.

We'll I stand corrected Mr Parks! (I still never hear ya) but we run a Trophy Truck setup (basically a Police Siren)...its LOUD... and you've never heard because I just haven't had the chance to pass you...yet...:)

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
My buddy Trent Kendall at last years Baja 500...very experienced racer, but due to mechanical issues, he lost a lot of time and was caught by the lead vehicles. He said JJ #54 (1st to pass him) scared the sh!t outta him! :eek: Never heard a thing and was caught by complete surprise.

[ame=http://youtu.be/6fvnO4yXqIg]2011 BAJA 500, ATV 55A TRENT GETTING PASSED BY TRUCKS (just the passes) ContourHD Helmet Cam - YouTube[/ame]

SXSPerformance.com

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Nov 10, 2011
Ontario, CA
I personally rode in the 1919 car with Brandon for several years and can honestly tell you that we got passed by many cars and trucks. We were informed by our pit crew of all the vehicles leaving the pits so we could be aware. Brandon and I have never been bumped by a car or truck. If you can't see in your mirrors to see if someone is coming and you are getting caught, you need to get off the course and go find a race with no cars and trucks racing. We always got off the course by 25' to assure we where out of there way. Sometimes we would sit parked for a minute or so till they passed just so the dust would settle. Brandon has as many miles in a utv than any one and if he has never been bumped you shouldn't be either. If you are not getting over then you are giving our class a bad name. I know there is you tube videos of cars behind utvs that show the utvs not getting over its sad. If we where all to get out of the way in a timely manner they wouldnt have anything to bitch about.
One of Brandon's most heard phrases over the radio during a BITD race in the UTV class is also "Where's Andy?"

Information from the PIT crews and IRC is extremely helpful in these situations and we knew exactly were the leaders where and how fast they were approaching. You could almost set your watch to them.

Also another thing we noticed over the years was it wasn't the CL1 and TT guys that were the problem when we were getting passed it was the lesser classes that all thought they were Robby Gordon that didn't have any respect.

crdesigns

Aug 18, 2010
Lol that is so true Mike it has became a inside joke of the teams. But it worked and we never got hit nor did we come close.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Matt, I think your facts were pretty awesome. I would be upset if my race car cost 100k+ and was being beat in time by a UTV!!!

Really only SS300 and VTR are potential issues. Should we see if Casey can give maybe 1 extra hour to allow the course to clear?

Or start with the Trucks/Buggies? But can end later in the day?

Or just leave it alone and go race the way it has been?

Generally the UTVs don't get passed unless issues arise, or moving a tad slow. It is true that Most TT/Buggy guys do not want to hurt anyone, but the other classes can be a little more aggressive. But it does only take one "accident" So as a group we should determine what is the safest for all and present to Casey if it is in the best interest???

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Matt, I think your facts were pretty awesome. I would be upset if my race car cost 100k+ and was being beat in time by a UTV!!!

Really only SS300 and VTR are potential issues. Should we see if Casey can give maybe 1 extra hour to allow the course to clear?

Or start with the Trucks/Buggies? But can end later in the day?

Or just leave it alone and go race the way it has been?

Generally the UTVs don't get passed unless issues arise, or moving a tad slow. It is true that Most TT/Buggy guys do not want to hurt anyone, but the other classes can be a little more aggressive. But it does only take one "accident" So as a group we should determine what is the safest for all and present to Casey if it is in the best interest???
Hi Derek! I was down for a guestimated hour and a half with my issues, but was never passed by an unlimited. After the race I was on my second beer after being interview by George and Joey D and then BJ came in. V2R is another issue. Not sure what the solution is. BTW...did you know that my 3 horns are not loud enough. Hahaha

crdesigns

Aug 18, 2010
Matt i wonder if a hearing aid would work through a helmet. Utv racers if you are having troubles seeing through your mirrors, a good solution to that is installing a reverse camera on your roof with a monitor in your cockpit for you to view. Robby gordon and jaun carlos lopez run them in the rpm vehicles. They run the actual ones used on a cat heavy machinery but one that heavy duty is not required. They are pretty resonable on ebay.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Matt and Chad...ok if Im the only one that doesn't hear your horn (s)...fine..I must be deaf...If Im the only one that doesnt see the TT/C1 comeing up on me in my own dust this last race...fine. Just remember your racing against somebody deaf and blind.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Matt and Chad...ok if Im the only one that doesn't hear your horn (s)...fine..I must be deaf...If Im the only one that doesnt see the TT/C1 comeing up on me in my own dust this last race...fine. Just remember your racing against somebody deaf and blind.
Hahaha...Michael, we love you and are just messing with you (but you ARE deaf and blind...haha). UTV racers are the best. But teasing is fair game with this crew right? Remember when JXBS presented Cory with a Dennison's canned ham? Now that was funny! BTW if you don't have thick skin in the JX camp you will die... Team doctor, tactictician, and mechanic Blake VdPoo literally will take you apart if you are not on your game. UTV racers are the best! Woot...woot!

V2R is next Vatos and my luck has to change!!!

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
positive note if you went off times of 1900 top 5 finishers and averaged that time we should be some were around 8000 and 6000 race vehicles. and both those class got to do 3 laps at the mint 400. So i say bring it let us start mid pack of classes So we can race with you guys. Ex parker 450 screw the 250 sorry i ment the 150 for us 1900 guys. i want to be in the big races cost the same and we get more miles.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
It is fun racing with the other classes. Keeps it exciting. Sometimes you get on the open roads, and no one for miles. Kind of gets old. Way more fun when your hunting down other classes kind of like the Mint! Besides, then we dont have to be up at pitch dark thirty... And could be safer in the long run? Then again having TT coming up on us will make us drive faster :eek:

tjof1959

Team Jean Racing
Jun 3, 2011
Matt, Just signed up for RDC so I can get my 2 cents in. WOW they completly missed the point and used your post as a whining pole. I was in a RZR 800 this year and managed to finish well in front of the TT's.

No matter what we are screwed, if we started in the back a TT will complain that they broke down, got fixed and then had to pass a UTV. Last year BJ caught us at mile 285 in a fast section there was no problems, on the lake bed a 1500 showed himself in my mirror I waved and he went down wind on us no problems.

Are there safty issues...sure...just has much if a TT came up on a 1000. Are they saying the blue lights are not enough?

I love UTV racing because that is what I can afford...I sure hope this does not affect V2R.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Looking through the class 10 rules and I think our cars will pass!
Ha ha, What would happen if the whole UTV class entered one race in class ten Ha ha talk about some drama on RC LOL!

BS JX

noceros

Jan 22, 2011
Folsom Ca.
Great thread, a lot of good ideas.
We raced the mint (our 1st ) got nerfed by a koh numbered trophy truck (pre running). We were doing about 50 - about sh-- my pants also took off my rr fender ( the a$$hole) he hit the horn after (I don't think he saw us) it was dusty & tight. later I pulled over for a buggy & he rubbed his big-ass tires on my left side (there goes the left fender (now it's 300.00 to fix) . I noticed a lot of buggies we passed didn't have any mirrors.
We're hoping to race vtr we should hit about 95 mph, if we get nerfed at that speed (may take up golfing- got the car just need clubs). building a big bumper right now. The only time I got nervous was after the truck passed us - had to stop (to much dust) - afraid of getting hit in the rear.
Was talking to a customer of mine, he raced the mint on a dirt bike in the 70's was nerfed by Parnelli Jones threw him off his bike out in the middle of nowhere, said Parnelli was just plain mean.
I fear whats coming up from behind only because of the weight difference.

Dec 20, 2011
I have been racing off road for over 30 years and in a UTV for the last 7 years. I have never been hit hard from behind. My father started off road racing in the 60's, when the sport was born. It is has always been a rule that off road racers show mutual respect when passing, whether you are racing a TT truck, buggie, UTV, motorcycle or quad. At any given race any one of these vehicles could pass another regardless of where they start. It is absolutely reckless and irresponsible for any class of off-road vehicle to run blind through the dust and plow another competitor. We as off road racers must not put winning the race over the safety of our fellow competitors, it is not worth it. There is no one class that is "special" we are all equal!!! It is the reasonability of the co driver/navigator to constantly check their mirrors, especially on high speed sections. Let’s all stop whining about having to pass slower vehicles and take reasonability for our actions and the safety of our fellow competitors. Slowing down to pass in the dust safely is no different then stopping to help a injured racer, if you are not willing to do either one of these, than please go find another sport, don't let your EGO ruin the sport I LOVE. After the entire only thing we are racing for, is the LOVE OF THE SPORT AND BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!
UTV racers we are receiving all the same respect that the other classes receive, if you are expecting something more it is not there. There is no less respect for our class that any other, maybe a few more sarcastic comments, but no less respect. <O:p</O:p
I believe that there are two things we can do to increase the safety when it comes to passing; 1 Every race vehicle should have a front LED amber light. 2 All classes that have a blue light should have a momentary off button that will allow the co driver to flash the blue light, this will be a universal signal to the vehicle behind, that the front vehicle has seen them and will be moving out of the way. <O:p</O:p
I am Cory Sappington and I endorse this message ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000