Excited to run my first UTV race, the 2018 UTV WC! Advice? Tips?

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
Hey everyone,

A long time ago, I bounced around here looking for information in hopes of one day running the Baja 1000 in the UTV class.

Long story short, I looked high, I looked low, I priced out do it myself builds, turn key builds, and used race rigs. I live and work in remote parts of Alaska, so just showing up to a race is going to be a big accomplishment. I'm just a normal hard working dude who wants follow a dream.

I know its a common fairy tale around here, but I'd like to thank the guys that reached out to me and told me not to be discouraged.

In the end, I kept hunting around and found myself with a former LSR car, a 2014 RZR 1000. I consider myself incredibly lucky, I think she's a great rig! LSR and the seller have been incredible in helping a new guy get situated.

Flew down in September and completed the purchase. Flew back to Alaska and continued to work until January when I came back to Arizona and put some miles on her with my friend and co-driver. We also drove my truck down and stored it in Arizona as well, so I have a haul rig and a UTV in Phoenix, which is a pretty good start!

I also donated two weeks of my time to help out a team in last year's Baja 1000. Had a blast!

Thanks to a break in our work schedule, it looks like we will be able to attend the UTV WC in Laughlin. I was told that this course would be an idea course for a couple of rookies because its a lap race with one pit area versus a situation where I would need a chase crew. I will have some friends flying down to lend a hand.

Hoping to use this one race as a intro course to desert racing with the end goal to finish the Baja 1000 in 2018.

Beyond knowing that we are in the NA class, I haven't decided on Pro or Sportsman class. I'm hoping to fly down in early April and finish the race prep.

At any rate, I wanted to pop back in, say hello and open up some basic questions.

Thank you!

PS: No team name yet.

Attachments

atvracer

Apr 21, 2018
did you make it to UTV WC? i got involved with score/HRDA from 83-93 then i moved out of state got into ATV racing till 05 then i went to the 2018 Mint now i'm hooked again looking for a utv to build to race the BITD turbo class in 2019

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
did you make it to UTV WC? i got involved with score/HRDA from 83-93 then i moved out of state got into ATV racing till 05 then i went to the 2018 Mint now i'm hooked again looking for a utv to build to race the BITD turbo class in 2019

Yes, we did make it down. Had a blast and really enjoyed being there. Everyone was quite friendly to us as newbies. Ended up 36th out 75 in the PRO NA class. Machine hadn't been raced since a new motor went in, we suspect back clutch alignment issues as we destroyed 4 belts in 8 laps.

We'll start baja prep soon and look forward to making the UTV WC a regular event.

Attachments

Reactions: Bruce and tatum

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Great story and great job of doing your homework and getting it done.
Are you doing the Baja 500?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000