32" Tires

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
From my testing and years in the field of ATV / UTV racing and recreational riding i have been able to pick up on how and why most machines break. in these desert machines i see the axle failures on the more aggressive guys. when you are hitting whoops or cross ruts and washes under power, your foot still in the throttle, when you unload the suspension the wheels wrap up and accelerate quicker since there is no load, and landing under power with the wheels spinning faster than the machine is actually running, presents a shock load to the axle and shatters the cup or shears the bar. there have been MANY MANY teams that have tried all sorts of different things. extra heat treating, less heat treating, cryo, different materials, different manufacturers, different greases, all sorts of different things. it seems like the axle failures are mostly self inflicted. not intentional, but from landing under power.

no names mentioned, but most racers will know who i am talking about, goes out and races and i cant recall the last axle they busted. continually finishing, (most of the time in the top 10) but purely because they are taking it easy, just being nice to the car and keeping it alive. i cant recall a time i have heard them say they had to replace an axle all year. most folks look at teams that take it slow and laugh saying they drive like a paw-paw, but taking it easy definitely has a lower chance of busting an axle or other driveline part.

there are gear reduction trans available for can-am and polaris that will allow you to be able to run a tire this large with minimal additional load to the clutch.

as posted above, to be fast, you dont need to try to hold it wide open around the entire course. honestly if you plan on the machine living, you can not run it at a 100% full throttle pace. pitching the machine hard into a high dirt bank side loading the car will present a HUGE amount of stress on the wheels and bend wheels. the leverage being placed on the wheel centers with these almost 80" wide cars pitching a 2200lb car into a hard corner must be insane. i believe OMF used to use 3/4" billet centers and now opted for 1" centers for racers. i saw a set a few weeks ago before baja1000 and they were considerably thicker than what you have seen in the past. i am sure they are just trying to add enough meat to the center of the wheel to keep it from bending because there isnt much they can do to counteract the shear forces put against the wheel hub and face when you are pitched into a turn side loading the car hard. if you watch the destination polaris video of the Mint 400, i believe that was a 20-30 min vid you can see the UTVs take different approach and departure angles out of a single turn. some people putt-putt thru the turn closely hugging the apex at part throttle. then you see some guys hanging it out railing the berm shooting for a late apex at full throttle. thats a different style driver. two completely different styles of driving, and tons more stress on a car which is one reason Marc Burnett had such a bad year. he wanted to be able to drive a car full throttle and stomp a mud hole in everyones ass, he CAN drive a car and stomp a mud hole in everyones ass, however his machine build around him could not handle said ass whipping and he found many many weaknesses, pretty much every single race. people didnt take him seriously this year but if he gets his new car blues worked out of this new car, i think you will see a solid run at a podium each race. he and wayne matlock race harder than anyone i have seen in any UTV on the track. i havent seen two guys race as hard as they do, they both push the car so hard they are on the verge of nearly totaling the car every second of the race. wayne clearly has a great team, winning the last 3 score races in a row. not by seconds, but almost in hours. if Marc can get his team and car on the same level as Wayne is now, i think you will see two solid guys that are nearly untouchable by the current racers and drivers.

Wayne and Marc both DNF'd vegas to reno. but a clear stand as to their speed would be to look at the position they started and the position they stood at in the first two or three pits. they both started WAY back in the pack, and by pit 1 they were both in the top 5. its been some time now and i was watching them both, but i think they started 26th and 33rd or something like that, and by pit 1 wayne was up to like 6th physical and marc was up in 3rd physical. i think wayne had 1st in corrected time by pit 1. i am just going off on memory, i feel certain someone will look it up and try to correct me but going off memory i believe thats where those two stood. IF both had a solid race without a DNF they would have been an hour ahead of 3rd place. yes it takes lots and lots of prep and a complete team effort and a very solid machine to make these races and win. being fast can either put you WAY out front, or get you a DNF fast. from what i have seen over the course of the last two years of this class, the old timers who have been racing for some time who 50% throttle it the whole course and 10% throttle it thru the turns, will soon be completely phased out by these guys who arent scared to hold the skinny pedal down.

i am not trying to step on anybodys toes. not trying to piss anyone off. just putting it out there like i see it.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
From my testing and years in the field of ATV / UTV racing and recreational riding i have been able to pick up on how and why most machines break. in these desert machines i see the axle failures on the more aggressive guys. when you are hitting whoops or cross ruts and washes under power, your foot still in the throttle, when you unload the suspension the wheels wrap up and accelerate quicker since there is no load, and landing under power with the wheels spinning faster than the machine is actually running, presents a shock load to the axle and shatters the cup or shears the bar. there have been MANY MANY teams that have tried all sorts of different things. extra heat treating, less heat treating, cryo, different materials, different manufacturers, different greases, all sorts of different things. it seems like the axle failures are mostly self inflicted. not intentional, but from landing under power.

no names mentioned, but most racers will know who i am talking about, goes out and races and i cant recall the last axle they busted. continually finishing, (most of the time in the top 10) but purely because they are taking it easy, just being nice to the car and keeping it alive. i cant recall a time i have heard them say they had to replace an axle all year. most folks look at teams that take it slow and laugh saying they drive like a paw-paw, but taking it easy definitely has a lower chance of busting an axle or other driveline part.

there are gear reduction trans available for can-am and polaris that will allow you to be able to run a tire this large with minimal additional load to the clutch.

as posted above, to be fast, you dont need to try to hold it wide open around the entire course. honestly if you plan on the machine living, you can not run it at a 100% full throttle pace. pitching the machine hard into a high dirt bank side loading the car will present a HUGE amount of stress on the wheels and bend wheels. the leverage being placed on the wheel centers with these almost 80" wide cars pitching a 2200lb car into a hard corner must be insane. i believe OMF used to use 3/4" billet centers and now opted for 1" centers for racers. i saw a set a few weeks ago before baja1000 and they were considerably thicker than what you have seen in the past. i am sure they are just trying to add enough meat to the center of the wheel to keep it from bending because there isnt much they can do to counteract the shear forces put against the wheel hub and face when you are pitched into a turn side loading the car hard. if you watch the destination polaris video of the Mint 400, i believe that was a 20-30 min vid you can see the UTVs take different approach and departure angles out of a single turn. some people putt-putt thru the turn closely hugging the apex at part throttle. then you see some guys hanging it out railing the berm shooting for a late apex at full throttle. thats a different style driver. two completely different styles of driving, and tons more stress on a car which is one reason Marc Burnett had such a bad year. he wanted to be able to drive a car full throttle and stomp a mud hole in everyones ass, he CAN drive a car and stomp a mud hole in everyones ass, however his machine build around him could not handle said ass whipping and he found many many weaknesses, pretty much every single race. people didnt take him seriously this year but if he gets his new car blues worked out of this new car, i think you will see a solid run at a podium each race. he and wayne matlock race harder than anyone i have seen in any UTV on the track. i havent seen two guys race as hard as they do, they both push the car so hard they are on the verge of nearly totaling the car every second of the race. wayne clearly has a great team, winning the last 3 score races in a row. not by seconds, but almost in hours. if Marc can get his team and car on the same level as Wayne is now, i think you will see two solid guys that are nearly untouchable by the current racers and drivers.

Wayne and Marc both DNF'd vegas to reno. but a clear stand as to their speed would be to look at the position they started and the position they stood at in the first two or three pits. they both started WAY back in the pack, and by pit 1 they were both in the top 5. its been some time now and i was watching them both, but i think they started 26th and 33rd or something like that, and by pit 1 wayne was up to like 6th physical and marc was up in 3rd physical. i think wayne had 1st in corrected time by pit 1. i am just going off on memory, i feel certain someone will look it up and try to correct me but going off memory i believe thats where those two stood. IF both had a solid race without a DNF they would have been an hour ahead of 3rd place. yes it takes lots and lots of prep and a complete team effort and a very solid machine to make these races and win. being fast can either put you WAY out front, or get you a DNF fast. from what i have seen over the course of the last two years of this class, the old timers who have been racing for some time who 50% throttle it the whole course and 10% throttle it thru the turns, will soon be completely phased out by these guys who arent scared to hold the skinny pedal down.

i am not trying to step on anybodys toes. not trying to piss anyone off. just putting it out there like i see it.
I hate to tell you, but with the level of competition we have now, the sheer number of fast, talented and capable drivers/teams, AND the monetary value being spent in this class, you HAVE to hold the car wide open 110% of the time and pray nothing breaks to win...

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Since I'm a no body, I can only assume you will see only a few on 32"s at the beginning of the season as there will be a large initial expense as you will need a complete set, including spares. You will not be able to switch or use your older smaller tires & wheels as spares during a race. Anytime you change to a new tire or wheel size you have to be committed. For that reason I only see a few at Parker. Plus you will then have the BFG teams who are already on 15" wheels, but BFG has made it very clear they will not be building a 32" any time soon if ever. So guys like JaggedX, Glazzcraft, Ragland's, unless they change brands will not be on a 32's.

Like I said I'm a no body, but my prediction is only a few teams will try it early in the season, and it will be those few who will have to work out the issues of running something new. Many are going to see their failures and say "See we don't need bigger tires, a 30" is proven and is winning." But once the teams who make the Jump to a 32" get the component durability figured out they will start to dominate, especially in rough or longer courses. At that point you will start to see more teams making the switch and by the end of the year I would expect to see the winning teams running 32", as it will be a competitive advantage to be on a bigger tire, especially if you are running a longer wheelbase chassis.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i was actually going to write almost the same thing.

Considering that some of the top teams that are now running the new BFGoody 30" tire that was newly created just for this class and it is now in 30" only with no plans to build it into a 32 after all the development cost ect, i am sure the teams that are committed to the BFG program wont be switching any time soon.

i also agree it will take some time to get the shake-down runs thru the machines to figure out how well they will run and hold up. a bigger tire is more load on the machine, more rolling resistance, but a larger tire and larger sidewall will float over things so much nicer and allow you to drive so much harder without the fear of blowing a tire or rim out. it will be more sidewall to potentially cut on a rock, but i think if the tire manufacturers build the tire tough enough it will handle the punishment. there are two teams that i know that have already been testing 32" tires. one i talked with reported amazing success and were looking forward to the upcoming season and planned on stepping up with the larger tires the first race. but i do think the N/A teams that have had success on 30s will likely stay on 30s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000