09 Rock Rzr

SXS Machine

Importer, wholesaler,
Agree its gotta be one of the best XP projects I've seen going and hand cutting the tyres is a great idea, I hope it gives you what you want in performance, like to have seen you attack those lugs on the side and left the centre tough though.

Thats like so many tyre designs you see like Grim Reapers by GBC and Moto- grip by Colorado components for harder pack serfaces or rock crawling. Thelease a solid centre and take lugs off the side.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
Agree its gotta be one of the best XP projects I've seen going and hand cutting the tyres is a great idea, I hope it gives you what you want in performance, like to have seen you attack those lugs on the side and left the centre tough though.

Thats like so many tyre designs you see like Grim Reapers by GBC and Moto- grip by Colorado components for harder pack serfaces or rock crawling. Thelease a solid centre and take lugs off the side.
I was thinking by spacing out the center lugs, it would help pull me up the rocks, allow the lugs to move/grip better. Also keeping the outside whole to retain strength for hitting rocks on the side of the tire. Once i knock out a few projects ill go back and rerun a bunch of the same trails i did before, and report on how they do.

Some more work done:

storage roughly in place, it can move up/down quite a bit, and rotate as well, i just havent picked exactly how i want it orientated.

plenty of leg room, doesnt get in the way at all:

cut the corner off for better fitment:

welded back up:

how it looks under the plastics:

Its going to be bolt in as well, and i will probly spray it with the sound deadener/under coating to make it waterproof.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
I have the storage mounts basically done, forgot to snap pics of it though. Ill get some later.

Last trip out all the bushings in the A arms started getting squeaky...I have started taking the arms off and plan to add a grease fitting to each one to address this. I dont think it will compromise the strength too much, these arms are fully boxed and pretty thick.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
sprayed the box with undercoating, and got it mounted.

i can raise or lower it a few inches as i need to, and it only takes a few minutes to completely remove.

still drying:

probably going to go with a net cover that snaps into place for the 'door'

ndboyd

Aug 26, 2010
When you say sprayed with undercoating and still drying, keep in mind may never dry if good undercoating. Try some "stone guard" or "bedliner".

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
When you say sprayed with undercoating and still drying, keep in mind may never dry if good undercoating. Try some "stone guard" or "bedliner".
I use duplicolor sound deadener/under coating, so it does dry quite well. I plan to use it on the underside of the aluminum roof as well, as it vibrates a bit. May do the kick panels also, since they are alum too.

ndboyd

Aug 26, 2010
The undercoating thing is a lesson from long ago. Took years before had all that sticky crap removed.

Like the box. Nice to have something to lock you can't cut through with a reasonably sharp knife.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
The undercoating thing is a lesson from long ago. Took years before had all that sticky crap removed.

Like the box. Nice to have something to lock you can't cut through with a reasonably sharp knife.

Yea, I have only worked with herculiner before, but had really good results. This is my first time working with duplicolor, its not bad.

Here's a crappy pic of my old explorer, fully bedlined inside:

3 coats, never chipped or cracked:

Yea i want the storage to be lockable, still working on that.

I am kind of at a stopping point, i messed up one of my bushings in the control arm as i was putting in the grease fittings. i went ahead and ordered a full replacement (16 total in mine) set of delrin bushings. hopefully they get here soon so i can wrap that up. also have to look at the rear diff, got a leak.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
Here is the issue with the bushings:

Ive ordered another set of delrin ones, and I might have a lead on a guy to make me some custom polyurethane ones as well.

currently working on audio system. Im getting an older 2 channel alpine amp (about the smallest one I could find) tomorrow.

started on the speakers:

mids and highs, using some decent mbquarts:

will use some small screws to retain the wood, and fully seal them inside and out. Probably going to use bedliner to coat the whole enclosure. May mount them behind the seats off of the cage, or under the dash, depends on space.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
Finally got the replacement bushings for the suspension. Took out every bushing and bolt, and coated with anti seize lubricant. Had to replace 3 delrin bushings up front.

Back together:

Here you can see the bushings ive been working on in the A arms:

Both front tires grooved/cut. I will probably go back with a tire groover later to clean it up.

Took a cruise around the neighborhood, took it up to about 40ish. All of the squeak from the front is gone, still getting some from the rear. Ill probably swap the rear bushings and lube all components up next weekend. Also while I am in there, got to see where the rear diff is leaking at.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
Very nice rig!!!
Can't wait to get a little further on my own unit. Again very nice work!!!
thanks man.

just ordered a tire grooving iron to finish up my cutting of the KM2's.

hoping to pick up a tube bender (JD2 model 3) next month. probably start the tear down of the rear suspension sunday.

RokAddict85

Oct 31, 2011
Nashville
Fixed rear bushings, no more squeak. Went wheeling again:

Rode with a bunch of JK's

Cut tires cleaned out much better than before. I ran 8psi in all tires...performed awesome.

Got my JD tube bender in, ill be starting work on rear tire carrier soon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000