BITD Fire

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
What are the details on the fire in the pits at this past weekends BITD race. There are several blogs and forums that are throwing our class under the bus. What car and what happened? It appears to be a BLM issue.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Only fire I heard about was Sappington. Not sure if that was the one they were talking about though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
The car mentioned in the RDC thread, must not be Sappington, it mentioned in the thread that the car in question finished the race and Sappingtion was a DNF

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Spoke with Cory this week and this came up - he did have an issue at RM 107 but it was NOT the fuel related issues discussed on RDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well he posted on that thread today talking about it and what happened.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
The sad part is the first race of the season is a few weeks away and it's a clusterfuck. So is UTVUG the official place to be notified of a major rule change and it's not even under a topic like "BITD MAJOR RULE CHANGE".

Assuming benefit of the doubt that it was in the 2016 rule book which I believe Justin is correct that it was NOT....it was never mentioned at tech in any of the races or in ANY if the registration packets that I'm aware of in 2016. I know a crazy thought but not seeing anyone wearing fire suits and helmets in the Utv class gave me the idea that we didn't need them. So how the fuck are we supposed to know that also means everyone handling a fuel can needs to be wearing a Robert Acer costume......Besides I thought fire like nerfing was part of racing.

So what has the Clusterfuck Sports Network decided on this because I know there are people not glued to Race Dezert or UTVUG that will show up at Parker in improper attire.

Reactions: facteryfmf

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
So does a MC or Quad rider have to wear a fire suit? I mean your balls are right there in harms way......in the interest of safety. I personally think they should have cage requirements as well because it's not safe if you tip over on a MC....Maybe 2018 we could add.....any rocks on the course must be padded with a minimum 8 oz WBA approved pads.

Reactions: dkiewicz

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Does no one read or check with BITD about anything? I guess you guys are so used to Cory running the UTV show, that no one goes or checks with BITD? I had read before the 2016 season that all car/truck fuelers or anyone around the fueling crew would be required to be in flame suits. You guys should have known about this or at least wondered why all the other car/truck class fuelers are required to wear flame suits, and the UTV crowd is not? I was told last year that UTV teams were going to be given a longer grace period as the rules were changed only weeks before the Parker 250. And your next race was the UTV Championships, so fueling was not going to be an issue at that race. The Mint would be the first race the UTV teams would be required to follow the Car/Truck pit rules.

When I went to the Mint 400 to help a UTV team I brought my gear expecting to have to wear it. The team said they heard of the rule, but were under the impression the UTV teams were not going to be mandated until later in the year. Since my job with them was not going to be fueling at the main pit, I left my gear with them before heading to pit 1, just in case they were later told to wear it. I did not want to take a chance of them getting DQ'ed or a time penalty.

Now not to throw all the blame on you guys, why didn't BITD staff, Pit captains, the Safety team or BLM question why the UTV teams were still fueling in jeans and T-shirts at any of the other races this year? The Safety Director Dave, claimed that one of his guys was at that pit and saw the fire, yet those guys never went up to the UTV teams earlier asking why they were not suited up? Heck at another race this year while pitting a TT, there was a small amount of fuel (Less then a 1/2 gal that splashed and hit the ground, and as soon as the truck left we had one of the BITD team in the pit pointing out the spill and making us shovel up the wet dirt onto the tarp that was now in shreds as the TT tore it up leaving the pit.

My guess is they will mandate all crew members in the fueling area wear flame suits, and they will give the UTV teams a one race (Parker 250) grace period before issuing penalties.

While I agree with wearing protective clothing, and think fueling aprons should be included in the rules. I personally think there are other issues that need to be looked at in tech to reduce the chance of starting a fire. Fueling equipment, Filler neck location, splash guards, looking at where the spilled fuel could run down too, and what could ignite the fuel. Are you filling on the same side as the exhaust header, above hot brake rotors, shocks, could the fuel puddle on a skid plate etc.. Because without an ignition source fuel will not burn. Fuel on a body panel, ground or your pant leg will not burn if not ignited.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com

1. BrianRenoMember
    Currently this is only being implemented for the teams that use fuel towers or pressurized systems. Read through the thread on RDC as coming from BITD safety they are looking at instituting it in the near future for all teams...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/bitd-new-fueling-rule-as-of-1-27-15.120970/

SPECIAL NOTE - as of 1/27/15 - Fueling Rule - (May be hard to purchase at this time, contact [email protected] , and we will put you in contact with Darryl Putman, our Tech Inspector.)Overhead Fuel Towers and Pressure Systems: Fuel towers must be at least 20’ from the racecourse. All towers must have a MANNED spring loaded dead man valve (ball, gate, butterfly) to automatically close the line when the handle is released. The hose must have a break-a–way feature in the event the vehicle departs with the hose still attached.

1. Fuel Pressure System and Overhead towers must have double redhead dry brake with return back to the fuel system tank.

2. No larger than a -10 vent line with a visible check valve

3. (2) 20lb fire extinguishers (1) manned by a dedicated person or persons – stronglyrecommended that a fire extinguisher class be taken. May become mandatory in future

4. All Teams using fuel pressure system or fueling tower must register with Best In The Desert so their systems can be inspected.

5. Catch Can for fuel vent line, fuel must not come in contact with ground and be controlled.

6. Fuel Pressure systems must have a 10lb max pressure relief valve for the tank.

8. All persons pitting vehicles must have Nomex fire suits and Nomex head socks

All teams not compliant to these rules are subject to a penalty up to disqualification. CT Rule Book Page 33 – 1/27/15

took me about 5 seconds were this was discussed in utvunderground

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
The sad part is the first race of the season is a few weeks away and it's a clusterfuck. So is UTVUG the official place to be notified of a major rule change and it's not even under a topic like "BITD MAJOR RULE CHANGE".

Assuming benefit of the doubt that it was in the 2016 rule book which I believe Justin is correct that it was NOT....it was never mentioned at tech in any of the races or in ANY if the registration packets that I'm aware of in 2016. I know a crazy thought but not seeing anyone wearing fire suits and helmets in the Utv class gave me the idea that we didn't need them. So how the fuck are we supposed to know that also means everyone handling a fuel can needs to be wearing a Robert Acer costume......Besides I thought fire like nerfing was part of racing.

So what has the Clusterfuck Sports Network decided on this because I know there are people not glued to Race Dezert or UTVUG that will show up at Parker in improper attire.
You are correct I cant believe nobody is talking about no more utvra/fees either and all the turbo changes

Reactions: JoeyD23

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I am not going to drop any names....but I was concerned about his early on this season and 1 person said call another person. That person said it didnt apply to us this season that there would be a new rule about it come 2017.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000