XPT Primary wearing out

RIVERBRAT

Feb 20, 2012
Lake Havasu City
Thanks for your input Glamisfan! Yeah in those pics your clutch looks like it's moving all over the place... Keep on them and make them fix it! Another guy on here said he can't drive the turbo without hitting the rev limiter all the time, even pussy footing it. Is there a problem with that too, or is this because maybe he's just not used to the turbo car?

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I sent 4 emails over the weekend to popo and called this morning. Im riding them hard!

Rev limiter: not a problem, but it comes way too fast. Before you know it your doing 70 and the rear tires are still breaking loose and you hit the rev/speed limiter. It honestly needs an 85 speed limiter instead of 75.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
The clutches themselves are larger diameter. And with the new larger diameter comes a lot less strain on the belt. The clutches themselves being larger run way more efficiently and cooler.

But the design of the new clutches is honestly the cheapest thing they could possibly manufacture. The secondary is crap. The primary with the slider shoe on the end of the spyder is crap. I don't necessarily like the design of either. The reason they hit the rev limiter so easy is cause it's so easy to slip the belt from too much power and inadequate clutching. The calibrations are absolutely horrendous. Coming outta every corner it's super easy to blow thru the clutch and be in the rev limiter because the clutch Upshifts too fast and pushes the belt too low in the secondsry where it's easier to slip. Belt slip with that much power and it runs straight to the rev limit

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Adam, if this were your car, what would you do. The only thing I see available for it right now is STM. Do you know of anything else coming out soon that doesn't cost 1300 bucks just for a primary? Are you happy with STMs reliability? I've heard good about them and I've also heard of racers that go out and tear them to pieces.

And if I do wind up going with STM, would you recommend Rage 3, 6, or 8?
I am So Cal mostly desert with a little bit of dunes. I like the cheaper price of the rage three. Plus there was things to go wrong and less things to have to worry about adjusting. But you're already at 1300 bucks, so 250 more for the rage six. And then once you there is only 150 more to get the rage eight. Fo the six and eight give better belt life once you get everything adjusted perfect?

Last edited:

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
finally got this thing to upload a pix.

glamisfan send me an email lets chat. [email protected]

again this was a machine with only 55 miles on it. the dealer was supposed to get it warrantied, but not sure on whether or not it actually was. at the race, i had to sell him another clutch because i didnt have any other choice. this wouldnt have made it thru a race.

IMG_3746.jpg IMG_3747.jpg

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
finally got this thing to upload a pix.

glamisfan send me an email lets chat. [email protected]

again this was a machine with only 55 miles on it. the dealer was supposed to get it warrantied, but not sure on whether or not it actually was. at the race, i had to sell him another clutch because i didnt have any other choice. this wouldnt have made it thru a race.

View attachment 12676 View attachment 12677
Inquiring minds want to know :)
What do you have to improve these clutches or replace them with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
pretty sure they are still working on secondary. But your problem will be the same with an STM primary just way more expensive piece. STM works great on high HP for short term, great tuneability, great selection of springs, but they weir out in long term/desert racing anybody that drives the snot out of there on trails 3-5k miles on unit.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i have some super cool new parts about to be out for the desert racers to give them a bullet proof race package. i already have the average trail rider figured out. yes we use STM clutches in many of our applications. they are a good clutch for what they are designed to do, if you race full throttle with them you will need to rebuild them. they have a lot of moving parts and these parts wear out and need to be rebuilt if you plan to race it. not every application uses the STM clutch, sometimes we use stock clutches, sometimes a mixture, sometimes we have our own custom parts. regardless of what you do or how you do it i try to figure out what works for each type of riding and usage and sell each owner a kit that works best for them.

i have been working on the XPTurbo clutches since august and i am super super close to getting the desert race package fully dialed in to a bullet proof standpoint.

Ricochet Off-Road

Feb 5, 2016
THey make the Polaris easier to work on for a reason.
If you haven't been in a turbo Mav, you need to. The updates that can am made on the '15 and '16 turbos are a game changer. The clutching is spot on now. The redesigned rear suspension geometry is perfect. It does need to be resprung and revalved, but all sxs do from the factory.
You are spot on about the new Maverick Turbo updates. That redesigned rear setup really works well. I went for a few laps of suspension tuning and we were half way there in about and hour. The thing is blazing fast. The suspension can be dialed in good enough for most people including mid level racers. I agree about the shock mods too. Shock replacement should only be needed for serious racers.

Since then, I have a lot more time in one. They really did up their game with this one. I wish they would make the CVT easier to get at and work on and drop the visco for an electric locker though.

I sure hope they fix the XPT clutches soon because I want one. What is this new Cat people are waiting for?

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
We are also about to have a different material slider that's not so hard and abrasive. I also have my own version of slider plates that go into the primary as well. These are all ideas to try to make the stock primary be more reliable and hold up under long races.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000