All UTV's New Storage Bag, Need your Opinions!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Need Your Opinions!

For those who might not be aware or have read my Baja Trip. http://www.utvunderground.com/baja-new-trails-traveled-32195.html I found Adventure Pockets who makes the MotoPocket storage bags for touring & adventure motorcycling. I bought a few Side Case storage bags for my doors and they worked awesome! After reading my Baja trip story several others have also bought Motopockets, and they all seemed to be very happy with them.

Since the trip I have spoke with the owner of MotoPockets as I had some ideas for a better storage bag for the off-road world. The owner is very enthusiastic about learning and making a better bag for the UTV and off- road community.

What I found was it would be great if there was a quick access pocket where you could keep things like your phone, sunglasses, flashlight or a rag to wipe your goggles. These were items I found I wanted to grab quick or while on the move. (Try grabbing something out of your pocket after being buckled in!) So here is the first prototype of the "Baja Pocket" with an exterior mesh pocket. This one was sewn with 3 pockets. I think 3 separate pockets will be to small for some items and maybe 2 pockets with an elastic band along the top to insure items could not bounce out would be better.

The original Side Case Pocket unzipped along the top and down one side. That worked for the bike guys, but was not ideal for us. It allowed easy access, but if unzipped all the way down items could fall out. The redesigned zipper opens down each side about 2 inches, giving easy access, yet does not allow items to come out of the bag. Also each bag would have two zippers, so you could open just a little or all the way.

I have found the canvas to be water resistant and depending on cost, a water proof zipper could be added. The idea is to make a great affordable storage bag, that because of the Velcro can be mounted anywhere (No straps or Zip Ties) is quick to access, quick to remove and take with you or mount in another vehicle quickly.

So check out these pictures of the Prototype "Baja Pocket" and share your opinions or ideas. Would a bag like this be of interest to you?

3M Velcro strips

Video of removing the original Motopocket from the door in Baja.
http://vid1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/nikal1/IMG_1500_zpsmdouq9p8.mp4

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
So is there pockets on the inside? I like the idea of it and wouldn't mind getting one sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Inside the canvas zippered part of the pouch, is just one open compartment, no interal pockets. The external mesh outer pouch will probably be two pockets with some sort of elastic across the top to keep items from bouncing out.

Adventure Pockets makes a larger square canvas bag which some have shown interest in having an outer mesh pocket added too. So their could be two sizes of the Baja Pocket avalible. But I would expect to see the rectangular one shown above to be released first.

McKay

Oct 5, 2015
Velcro would not be my first choice, dirt and heat kill it where we ride. Nice bags though!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Velcro would not be my first choice, dirt and heat kill it where we ride. Nice bags though!
Where do you ride and how hot does it get? When the Orginal MotoPocket was used & tested in Baja we had zero issues with dust, dirt & silt effecting the Velcro. I get the Velcro might not be for everyone, but in my case where straps were not an option they seem to work perfect.

What i liked about the MotoPocket's Velcro was the universal mounting locations, with the quick ease of pulling it off, and taking it with you. Plus MotoPocket offers several other sizes.

If you click on the link you can see a video of the bag being removed from the door panel after a dusty day of running Baja.

Last edited:

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
where can I get some bags. Velcro will be fine as far as Im concerned ,that new glue they use any more is some sticky shit.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
where can I get some bags. Velcro will be fine as far as Im concerned ,that new glue they use any more is some sticky shit.
http://adventurepockets.com/the-motopocket/

Just so you know the bags with netting on the website are not like the Prototype Baja Pocket bag shown on this thread. The netted bags on the site are open so you can see what's in the bag. The bags you will probably be looking for would be a solid canvas bag and there are 3 sizes. The Baja Pocket is not yet into production, but if that is what you like or want I can find out if there is an ETA on the Baja Pocket?

Reactions: warlock

McKay

Oct 5, 2015
Where do you ride and how hot does it get? When the Orginal MotoPocket was used & tested in Baja we had zero issues with dust, dirt & silt effecting the Velcro. I get the Velcro might not be for everyone, but in my case where straps were not an option they seem to work perfect.

What i liked about the MotoPocket's Velcro was the universal mounting locations, with the quick ease of pulling it off, and taking it with you. Plus MotoPocket offers several other sizes.

If you click on the link you can see a video of the bag being removed from the door panel after a dusty day of running Baja.
Im in central Ca. Gets over 100 for a couple months a year.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
http://adventurepockets.com/the-motopocket/

Just so you know the bags with netting on the website are not like the Prototype Baja Pocket bag shown on this thread. The netted bags on the site are open so you can see what's in the bag. The bags you will probably be looking for would be a solid canvas bag and there are 3 sizes. The Baja Pocket is not yet into production, but if that is what you like or want I can find out if there is an ETA on the Baja Pocket?
I like the size of the bag and the mesh front would be great to. I would almost get one for each door so the kids would have a place for there phones, but half the time I look back and the little farts are txting or surfing while were bombing along. LOL

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Wanted to revive this thread as Adventure Pockets released the New Baja Pocket in the 14x6 size & the 11X9 will be coming soon. I've mounted both the Regular MotoPocket and the new Baja Pocket in my RZR and in my PreRunner and have been really happy with them.

A MotoPocket user was down in Ocotillo Wells recently and here is his testimony regarding the MotoPockets.

"I recently installed 5 pockets in my Polaris RZR 1000. Storage on the doors and a 1staid kit below my driver seat. I had a very extreme roll over at Ocotillo wells resulting the complete total of my RZR. After all was said and done all 5 Adventure Pockets were still in the car and mounted to the Velcro. Amazing!! Thank you Adventure Pockets. LB."

14X6 Baja Pocket

11X9 Baja Pocket coming soon.

http://adventurepockets.com/product-category/the-motopocket/

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
I can screw a holster to the plastic tunnel cover in my Max

Sent from my Magic Wand!

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Very cool, i liked them in your write up about Baja, and i like them even more now with the outer pocket.

Will be ordering some once i get my rzr interior figured out and decide where i want to mount and how many

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Any photos of how they mount?
The Moto & Baja Pockets mount via high quality 3M Velcro. The owner Bob said he tried several different 3M Velcro's until he found the right strength plus it had to have good adhesive that would not peel off when pulling the bag off the Velcro.

I loaded the bags when doing the Baja trip and they never came lose or had issues, even when covered in Silt. Then you have the testimony above of a guy who rolled and totaled his RZR and none of his bags came lose.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Adventure Pockets also designed a new handheld radio pocket. This radio pocket can be used with a belt on your waist and has a Velcro strap to mount to your roll cage. Over Thanksgiving weekend one guy in our camp did not have a radio or intercom in his buggy, so to make sure everyone had some form of communication, I gave him my handheld and strapped the pouch to his roll cage. It worked out great.

Once again Bob jumped at the chance to get involved in the sport when a Race Radio company I put in contact with him, asked him to make a handheld radio bag. Bobs design allows many mounting options and gives side access to the radio making them very universal where a crew guy can plug in a headset, gives short course racers that uses a small portable radio in the car access to plug in their helmets. A few guys that ride dirt bikes have been using them to hold and strap their radios to their camel backs. American Dakar bike racer Jimmy Lewis also uses the MotoPockets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000