Can-Am A little PlastiDip project

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Well after talking to a few shops in AZ who said they would not guarentee a wrap, during install and after. I decided to try PlastiDip and see what happens. I only use my car in the sand and steer clear of trees while in Glamis i felt the rubber paint would hold up for me.

I did some interwebz searchin (before asking stupid mavforum.nat questions), i found lots of people are using Plasti Dip on street cars and it comes out pretty good. Besides its cheap, and i am a cheap ass mofo.

I also remember a little trick Mr. Lorenz showed me years ago about reflective stickers, they "POP" when photographed. I found some reflective powder that is used in street signs and added 1# of it to the last 32oz clear coat on the white panels of my maverick.

I found all of the stuff at https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php for a total of $380 including the sprayer. It was very easy to prep, just ewash with soap and water then let dry. Just before spraying each panel i wiped it down with alcohol. I started with 2 coats of Gunmetal Grey (their recomended primer) then added two more coats of color and two coats of clear(one of which had the glass powder) to the panels i wanted white.

The white panels with the reflective powder came out rough to the touch and the Gunmetal Grey panels came out flat and smooth like i wanted. I need to break out mama's good Nikon camera to take some pics when i get the car all together at night with the flash to show you how it reflects. With an LED light bar shinning on it at night it shines like a diamond in a goats ass.

for inspiration i am going for this look.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Looks cool! Now you need some good shots of the reflective stuff. That something I've haven't seen yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Nice euro-look (with the monotone and all) I can call you either "Plain Jane", or "Clean Gene" (since I couldn't find a word that rhymes with MEGADESERTDIESEL)!!!. :D Nice Audi A-8. Did you know that one of the Murray Bros. drives one of those bad boys? I should be calling them Money bags!

Your Mav looks awesome, and the cage is aesthetically pleasing as well. I've seen many Mavericks with odd looking cages. Probably because the stock one has way too much head room, and it throws off the fabricator. Look at ours, way too low (hence, the need to remove the motor out of the front window opening instead of out the side. Now, the firewall, gauge cluster, glove box and grab handle, front window bars, and front bodywork all need to be removed first. PITFAss!))

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Where are the pictures showing the sparkle?
in due time grasshopper, she aint completely finished yet.

Nice euro-look (with the monotone and all) I can call you either "Plain Jane", or "Clean Gene" (since I couldn't find a word that rhymes with MEGADESERTDIESEL)!!!. :D Nice Audi A-8. Did you know that one of the Murray Bros. drives one of those bad boys? I should be calling them Money bags!

Your Mav looks awesome, and the cage is aesthetically pleasing as well. I've seen many Mavericks with odd looking cages. Probably because the stock one has way too much head room, and it throws off the fabricator. Look at ours, way too low (hence, the need to remove the motor out of the front window opening instead of out the side. Now, the firewall, gauge cluster, glove box and grab handle, front window bars, and front bodywork all need to be removed first. PITFAss!))

becareful you are giving Johnny and his boys a compliment. I was lazy and had Johnnys guy Craig build this cage for me. But i had to cut his roof inhalf so i could see uphill while going downhill.

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Your ride is awesome. I love Plasti Dip. It's really easy to work with and more durable than you would think if you put 4 or 5 coats on. Other than being dirty the Plasti Dip survived several rock crawling trips and then 10 miles on a flat tire.

Easy to add some accents as well.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
How's your plasti dip holding up so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really well, except where my seatbelt rubs when i take it off and it hangs out of the car. I ordered a gallon of flourescent orange to paint the Maverick with before dune season. I plan on pulling all of the panels and spraying over the white.

Tzenev

Jul 9, 2013
Very nice. I'm experimenting with the vinyl wrap and plasti dip. Just wrapped my maverick myself (it was challenging and turned out pretty good) and an getting ready to plasti dip a buddies maverick to see how well they both hold up. I just plasti dipped my top a arms black tonight to see how it holds up on them for the holiday weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000