How will the new "game changer cars" affect the current cars and class?

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
FWIW The XP Turbo Cody drove a couple of weeks ago chipped out at 75 and got there pretty damn quick! Sweet power and the suspension is incredible. Props the the engineering staff at Polaris, the 2016 Turbo model is a blast.
For the first mile or so he was on and off the throttle then once he got used to the feel of the hole package he just left it pinned and the car took it with ease. I cant say the same about me, I finally told him to slow the f$#% down.

Last edited:

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Disagree Nikal was NOT in the minority to the contrary I believe the majority wanted Can Am turbo in the unlimited class for reasons stated.

Racing turbo cars with non turbo cars who can't add a turbo of equal displacement is dumb! Unless you think heavyweights should fight lightweights and quarter horses should race thoroughbreds then I guess it makes sense. Id like to know what was the logic behind this decision? Just a question Ive never heard an explanation that made any sense I guess why were still talking about it.......

Reactions: acme

acme

Jul 21, 2015
I am looking at this as an outsider: So what is wrong with having a class of naturally aspirated 1000CC/clutch cars (aka current standard) and a second class with 1000cc and above with any factory induction/"Factory Driveline For The Model Year". With both as production classes??? Let the guys that want and can afford to build the newest shiniest stuff chase that dream each year; while the current standard of cars (which are still available for purchase new) have a competitive home and class... Manufacturer would have two chances to promote their goods.

Seems that protects the guys with current cars and builds in progress as well as levels the field between the current class/budgets; and allows for technology changes by the mfr without the need for more expenditure, for the new higher HP motors which will increase race costs.

Kinda like not everyone has a budget to run a TT so they now have 6100...

You'd still have big car counts and the only guys losing would be the guys with the funding to run the latest greatest as they seem the minority. I know I have no dog in this fight and I'm sure the logic and common sense from an outsider is killing some of you... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyD23 and tatum

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I think the average spectator (and they need to be considered in these discussions, since they are the ones usually getting involved in the future, hence growing the sport.) is mostly interested in the class with the big factory teams. Let's face it, that's where the closest competition is. Every race, the top positions are separated by just minutes, and many times, seconds. The season ending point tallies are also within a few points or finishing positions in the final race of the year. Is it possible that too many classes for the same model production vehicle may not be conducive to growing the sport of UTV desert racing? I surely don't know the answer. It is however, an easy solution to have a new production class for turbo cars, and the 1900 class as it existed prior to allowing turbos. It would be interesting to see the split of the teams deciding to go turbo, and the ones sticking with their current race cars. I imagine the top factory supported teams would campaign the latest technology, as per the manufacturers wishes. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: acme

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
There has been plenty of logic. Most of it has simply been ignored.
I couldn't agree with you more Joey. It makes no sense that while the manufacturers offer a 1000 base model and an optional turbo motor, that the Pro Production classes wouldn't be for the N/A cars and Unlimited class for turbo cars, etc.

I'd be fine with this changing once (and if) the turbo's gain more of a market share, and become more of the standard. But in the meantime, run the unlimited class with no restrictions until we figure out what reasonable production class rules should be.

The 1000 Production classes have a great thing going, I just hope it grows smart.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
^^^ said the guy racing one next week ;) Good luck at V2R, racing whatever you get behind the wheel of you stand a good chance to win...

Reactions: Johnny

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
as fast as those guys over there work, they will be doing the tin work and wiring by the end of tuesday.
I cant see how the car pictured will be even close to ready if V2R is next weekend. Sheet metal, wiring, plumbing, cage work and the buttload of tabs and mounting brackets, air intake/filtration, shakedown run, the listy is seemingly infinite to be done in a finite amount of time. Will the BITD class rules in their current form even allow the new RZR turbos to race. The Maverick will definitely be outclassed, but that doesn't mean they can't still win races.

acme

Jul 21, 2015
It seems right you now have the existing Turbo Mavs and the new, unreleased Polaris that seem to be creating quite a controversy. No skin in the game, but if you guys are considering addressing the issue of leveling the field: You might consider language that would also deal with non belt driven drivelines or gearboxes and larger displacement naturally aspirated motors so as not to have to deal with those later, should they ever come out.

It seems surprising that with as many cars that race and how many that beat the drum on the UTV bandwagon; there aren't more concerns or opinions based on the amount of views of this thread? It would also be interesting to hear from the tech/sanctioning bodies perspective as one would think maintaining competitiveness and addressing new technologies would be important to the continued growth of the class/sport...

Maybe a story in there for ya Joey: What do BITD/WORCS and SCORE say???

Reactions: JoeyD23

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
I understand that the advancements made by the manufactures every year eventually make it to the starting line. As for the pro production class the rules as to what is a 2015 production model for the 2015 season should stay the same for the whole season. If the manufactures come out with some new motor or trans or whatever for the 2016 model year it is obviously not legal to race in the 2015 Pro production season as it's not a 2015, seems pretty straight forward. The manufactures come out with there new models before the year is out, so if someone wants to run a 2016 in 2015 then they just have it run in the open class for the remainder of that year and then for the 2016 season it is legal to run in the pro production class. The rules as to what is legal should stay the same from the beginning to the end of the season.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I understand that the advancements made by the manufactures every year eventually make it to the starting line. As for the pro production class the rules as to what is a 2015 production model for the 2015 season should stay the same for the whole season. If the manufactures come out with some new motor or trans or whatever for the 2016 model year it is obviously not legal to race in the 2015 Pro production season as it's not a 2015, seems pretty straight forward. The manufactures come out with there new models before the year is out, so if someone wants to run a 2016 in 2015 then they just have it run in the open class for the remainder of that year and then for the 2016 season it is legal to run in the pro production class. The rules as to what is legal should stay the same from the beginning to the end of the season.
That's a pretty valid point. How is one able to build and race a 2016 car, for a 2015 season and rulebook?

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Wonder if the guys racing the turbo mavs are using the 2015 motors or the 2016 motors? 2016 motors have what 10 or 15 more hp from the factory? Or would they be allowed to put the 2016 motor in their 2015 car seeing as how the Polaris is a 2016 car technically?

All things to think about, I would think there will also be a lot more to think about if somebody does race a new turbo polaris and wins.

I am not a racer anymore but i love to read the race threads, and follow all the new model year releases, some very cool machines being produced now.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I cant see how the car pictured will be even close to ready if V2R is next weekend. Sheet metal, wiring, plumbing, cage work and the buttload of tabs and mounting brackets, air intake/filtration, shakedown run, the listy is seemingly infinite to be done in a finite amount of time. Will the BITD class rules in their current form even allow the new RZR turbos to race. The Maverick will definitely be outclassed, but that doesn't mean they can't still win races.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000