turbo's in desert racing

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Just a wild ass guess but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple turbo polaris' racing this year. Why is Cognito and I believe Jagged both building new cars when there hasn't been a model update? Unless their old chassis are so hammered, cracked and twisted that its hopeless to fix them the best reason I can think of is they are building on pre production 2016 chassis so that as soon as polaris announces a turbo they can do a motor switcheroo and have a race ready turbo car the next day. Let the flaming begin....
No truth to that from us. We have wanted to have a BITD and a SCORE car for a long while now.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Just a wild ass guess but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple turbo polaris' racing this year. Why is Cognito and I believe Jagged both building new cars when there hasn't been a model update? Unless their old chassis are so hammered, cracked and twisted that its hopeless to fix them the best reason I can think of is they are building on pre production 2016 chassis so that as soon as polaris announces a turbo they can do a motor switcheroo and have a race ready turbo car the next day. Let the flaming begin....
No need to flame.

Jagged and Cognito are not building new Turbo machines as that would be illegal for a Pro UTV to build a new machine right now then place a new engine in it. You would have to race in Unlimited. Jagged as I see it was building a new machine for Craig since the 1931 is also the 1932 in Baja. That's a lot of wear and tear for that single machine. Craig's new RZR was originally going to be done for the UTVWC but got pushed back so they have been working on this for a while.

BUT you better believe all these Polaris Factory teams will race a turbo if and when it gets released and because of the new rules all the non favored backed teams (90% of the class +/-) will now have to or feel the need to step up to building a new machine, ALL OVER AGAIN! Not even TT or Class 1 teams are forced to build new race machines at the rate the UTV class is!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I wholehearted agree. The way it's going, the little guy is going to get left behind. Both roger and Cory are coming to a crossroad. They have to decide whether or not to allow the forced induction engines into the production class. Or to make another class altogether. So does that mean that all forced induction cars weather factory or not go to the unlimited class? The turbo car for both manufactures is going to be their prized possession. It's what they are aiming to sell the most of. The old saying goes "win on Sunday, sell on Monday"
The only way it's going to work is if the top teams stay N/A. And I don't really see that happening. If all the top teams went turbo then the cost of this class is going to outpace itself really quick.
So what's the best case scenario?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My best case scenario may not be inline with everyone else's but since you asked...

Best case would be for Corry or the class as a whole to petition to move ALL turbo (factory or not) to the unlimited class and keep the Pro UTV class as a naturally aspirated class. This would need to be the case for all desert racing series'. This would further incentivize racers to participate in the unlimited class and cause a natural growth to that class while not jeopardizing car counts and the current positive state of the Pro UTV class.

I am curious as to how many actual UTV racers agrees.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
My best case scenario may not be inline with everyone else's but since you asked...

Best case would be for Corry or the class as a whole to petition to move ALL turbo (factory or not) to the unlimited class and keep the Pro UTV class as a naturally aspirated class. This would need to be the case for all desert racing series'. This would further incentivize racers to participate in the unlimited class and cause a natural growth to that class while not jeopardizing car counts and the current positive state of the Pro UTV class.

I am curious as to how many actual UTV racers agrees.
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that the decision was fundamentally flawed. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it appears there will be repercussions.....one being there will be no class for the non turbo cars that are responsible for the huge growth of the UTV class. Its a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you.

The easiest thing to do is correct the issue as you suggested Joey but its not often you see poor rule making corrected by the same people who made the rule in the first place....it takes a very magnanimous person to do that.

solina

Sep 11, 2013
Ontario Canada
I think Joey is right in wanting the turbo's in the unlimited class IF that turns out to be the route all the manufactures end up taking for their big hp. What happens if you vote the turbo's up a class and it turns out Polaris or Arctic Cat put out a 140hp NA machine? I would think it is just a bit to early to have that vote.
Just my 2 cents (Canadian)
1 cent (US)

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
As far as I understand the rules you could do a motor swap if you chassis is the same year as the turbo motor hence a pre production 2016 chassis could use a turbo motor if it came out as a 2016. Just conspiracy theory though.

As far as the flaming I wasn't referring to flaming on me for throwing out a crazy idea but on the whole turbo race car debate. There will always be someone unhappy with the current rules. You got your turbos but now its on the whole issue of how to handle the ECU. Can of worms in deed. Putting them in the unlimited class would help grow that class and grow UTV racing as a whole.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Joey d is correct on splitting the 2 classes but I believe it should be pro turbo and pro n/a class. Unlimited class is dead and why would you want to race with street bike guys that have nothing to do with production. You can stretch the frames run what ever suspension you want,run a frankstein car that has nothing to with production. When they do split them should ECU/ restrictor plate anything even be needed to regulate the pro turbo class then Joey d? If you guys were any kind of a motor guy anybody can trick a waste gate without touching the ecu and any body can trick the fuel system without touching the ecu. Everything runs off a signal, change the signal jingle bam you have more fuel and more boost without touching the ECU. Ask your brothers over at KROYER racing they will tell you.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
A factory Can-Am Ecu has to be married to the vehicle(gauge cluster) via the b.u.d.s. software. The ECU itself is not altered or changed it is more that the gauge cluster is accepting it. This process will need to be done to every Can-Am in the class, and can be a pain in the ass. Polaris on the other hand is quite simple. They do not require marrying or anything like that. You can pull to the side of the course; remove ecu; install new, and go about your business with nobody knowing. I think Can-Ams are fairly easy to regulate as the system is much more complex, and the real problem is going to be when the Polaris vehicle is brought into the picture...

But.... how about this. I have the ability to plug into the diag port on a Maverick and re-flash the ecu just like a diesel truck. what is going to keep someone from having what I have and being able to just stop for a few minutes and change mapping without even touching the Ecu!!!

Why not just let the turbo class be an unlimited class? If everyone is so concerned about who is going to have what amount of HP, screw it! Run what you brung! Lets face it...if it is near impossible to regulate why try?!

Nate
Alba Racing

ps if anyone has specific questions regarding ecu stuff I would be more than happy to try and answer...
Finally someone gets it how can you hand out a factory ecu to a can am turbo racer that's sealed. It wont work, you have to break into it and marry it to your can am. So now how do you remove this lets say stock ecu that was broken into out of the race car and put my old ecu in and the race tech guy is broken down 300 miles away from you?

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
I think Joey is right in wanting the turbo's in the unlimited class IF that turns out to be the route all the manufactures end up taking for their big hp. What happens if you vote the turbo's up a class and it turns out Polaris or Arctic Cat put out a 140hp NA machine? I would think it is just a bit to early to have that vote.
Just my 2 cents (Canadian)
1 cent (US)
That is a different point all together. As long as the bore and stroke are 1000CC. Its legal. You have all the supposed Dyno queens that make 140hp to the wheels now. So what would be the difference. If you need a hair dryer to level the playing field, you need a new manufacturer.

Having a pro turbo and pro NA class is gonna split the class further. We need the least amount of classes to get the car count up a high as possible. I do agree the turbo guys in with the other guys will force the competitive class mid budget guys to possibly build another car, but not with out allowing the rules to change. I'm not convinced these cars can reliably run long distances with the factory parts with some kind of huge advantage. IF they change the rules, with even Polaris having a Turbo car. I just don't see it. A rule change to allow the turbo guys to do the same that the NA guys, do will ruin the competition.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Joey d is correct on splitting the 2 classes but I believe it should be pro turbo and pro n/a class. Unlimited class is dead and why would you want to race with street bike guys that have nothing to do with production. You can stretch the frames run what ever suspension you want,run a frankstein car that has nothing to with production. When they do split them should ECU/ restrictor plate anything even be needed to regulate the pro turbo class then Joey d? If you guys were any kind of a motor guy anybody can trick a waste gate without touching the ecu and any body can trick the fuel system without touching the ecu. Everything runs off a signal, change the signal jingle bam you have more fuel and more boost without touching the ECU. Ask your brothers over at KROYER racing they will tell you.
If its UNLIMITED, That Means its UNLIMITED........

Oh if the world was actually this simple........ "Just change the SIGNAL JINGLE"..... and you have a fire breathing big block. Can you make that a bolt on kit I can install with hand tools in my driveway?

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
My last question does anybody want to go faster or is this were it tops off at? 1000cc NA at about 100 rwhp or is the future to go faster turbo. Maybe joeyd can answer this one 2016 is the year of cat system for Polaris will they be faster or slower then 2015, seems the 2015 are slower then 2014 from Polaris factory.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
If its UNLIMITED, That Means its UNLIMITED........

Oh if the world was actually this simple........ "Just change the SIGNAL JINGLE"..... and you have a fire breathing big block. Can you make that a bolt on kit I can install with hand tools in my driveway?
Just like lucas oil there are no more factory utvs. The unlimited class rules suck balls you can bend twist those rules up so bad.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You're way off track.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
That is a different point all together. As long as the bore and stroke are 1000CC. Its legal. You have all the supposed Dyno queens that make 140hp to the wheels now. So what would be the difference. If you need a hair dryer to level the playing field, you need a new manufacturer.

Having a pro turbo and pro NA class is gonna split the class further. We need the least amount of classes to get the car count up a high as possible. I do agree the turbo guys in with the other guys will force the competitive class mid budget guys to possibly build another car, but not with out allowing the rules to change. I'm not convinced these cars can reliably run long distances with the factory parts with some kind of huge advantage. IF they change the rules, with even Polaris having a Turbo car. I just don't see it. A rule change to allow the turbo guys to do the same that the NA guys, do will ruin the competition.
I agree turbos haven't proven themselves yet but splitting the class wouldn't change the numbers much as there are so few turbos right now and those would just move to the unlimited class so net loss would likely be zero. Over time turbos have the potential for a huge advantage over n/a cars making them obsolete. As the growing pains get resolved it could get silly for n/a cars. In the extreme...what about a 200 hp turbo powered car with a capable clutch/trans? Or a limited production car.......what's the rule on "production" cars with limited numbers? The rules should reflect how the class is intended to be with limitations on anything that will materially alter the spirit of the class. If the current class was intended as a n/a class with restrictions on tires, suspension, and motor as I believe most agree it was.........then turbos and any other modification shouldn't be allowed in the class irrespective of any perceived advantage or not.....that should be irrelevant. For example, the rules say 1000cc max it doesn't matter if 1001cc provides an advantage or not. The class was intended to run 1000cc or less....period. It will always be messy when the rules keep changing depending how the wind blows.

Brandon75173

Mar 25, 2014
Dallas, TX
I want to put a 1.0 ecoboost with a little transaxle in the back of one and call it unlimited. Alas, cant excape the CVT crap any way reasonably, and/or put an auto motor in one.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
id be willing to bet a pile of money if you put a Turbo Can Am up against my current race car that I raced at the Mint 400 straight line the Can Am would pull my RZR and make my car look as if it was sitting still ... its not the RZR winning races right now its the drivers and teams

Im not impressed with the unlimited class at all and think it would be great for the sport if turbo machines like the Can Am where in the unlimited what id call a unlimited PRODUCTION CLASS so the rules are more like the Current Pro production class ..

I know you for a fact you only get out of it what your willing to put into it and id like to think im putting over 100% in my race program and its only getting better as we learn

Also being able to drive plays a pretty big part in racing and id bet in a straight line drag race half the cars in the Pro Class are faster then my car

Reactions: JoeyD23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000