Silver State Start at Pit 2?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Did I hear right that the Cognito car couldn't get off the line and somehow got the car to pit 2 and started the race from there. That they were given a 1 hr penalty for "course deviation"? I'm just asking......

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Yes, BITD Officials made the call to tow us to pit 2 to make repairs. An hour penalty was issued.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Why not make repairs there? Was there a safety issue working on the car at the start?
There was no comms, no cell service, and no way to know there was a problem. We didnt even know they were in Pit 2 until they walked the pit and found the pit support there. Then we had to get our other truck back from pit 3 to get parts to make the repair. Again, this was a BITD call.

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
I hate to hear that they had trouble. I thought it was fixed when they got a jump start at the starting line.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
There was no comms, no cell service, and no way to know there was a problem. We didnt even know they were in Pit 2 until they walked the pit and found the pit support there. Then we had to get our other truck back from pit 3 to get parts to make the repair. Again, this was a BITD call.
I thought racing was we all start together first to the finish wins. If you can't start it's called DNF! What a joke!

I don't care if you had to do the hula to get your car fired that's racing but you don't skip half the course and jump in front of cars that battled thru the WHOLE course and took their lumps. That's my .02

Reactions: tim07

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I thought racing was we all start together first to the finish wins. If you can't start it's called DNF! What a joke!

I don't care if you had to do the hula to get your car fired that's racing but you don't skip half the course and jump in front of cars that battled thru the WHOLE course and took their lumps. That's my .02
You outta be happy we got 18th instead of winning it

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'm pretty sure Casey didn't say all on his own...."hey guys see your having some issues why don't you just tow your car to pit 2 and get it fixed there and jump back on the course when your done".

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
You outta be happy we got 18th instead of winning it
Well you cheated w permission so congratulations on that. Maybe you will win a race someday....even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Why is cheating and Cognito so often used in the same sentence? Makes you wonder. We DNF again didn't cheat just plain vanilla DNF car died and we pulled off. No tow truck or anything.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I'm pretty sure Casey didn't say all on his own...."hey guys see your having some issues why don't you just tow your car to pit 2 and get it fixed there and jump back on the course when your done".
Uh it was solely Casey's idea bud.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Well you cheated w permission so congratulations on that. Maybe you will win a race someday....even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Why is cheating and Cognito so often used in the same sentence? Makes you wonder. We DNF again didn't cheat just plain vanilla DNF car died and we pulled off. No tow truck or anything.
We've won multiple races including the silver state last year.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Knowing that you could get towed to a pit, repair car, and go on from there for a finish would have certainly changed the way my race went on Saturday.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Well Casey said it was his call so I guess it is what it is. He knows I don't agree but he heard me out and that's it. Just stating for the record that's the official version anyway.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Knowing that you could get towed to a pit, repair car, and go on from there for a finish would have certainly changed the way my race went on Saturday.
It happens all the time. And if they cant tow you to the pit you can certainly have them deliver parts to your team to work on the car in the field.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
It happens all the time. And if they cant tow you to the pit you can certainly have them deliver parts to your team to work on the car in the field.
Define "tow to the pit" ....as in next pit or 2-3 pits down course?

Define "deliver parts in the "field".......like on the starting line ? That's in the field? So when I walk out of my office I'm in the "field"?

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
We seemed to have a low battery that morning, before the race, the car barely started when we went to back it out of the trailer, weird because it was fine on friday at contingency/tech. We let it run for a bit to charge up and all seemed fine at over 14 volts. When it was time to stage, the battery was dead again, we got a jump start with the help of some fellow racers, we let the car run for an hour before it was time to start the race. We creeped up in line to the start waiting our turn (40th utv), when the car in front of us got the green, we went to pull up for our turn and the entire car shut down like a light switch was flipped. We jumped out, pushed the car out of the way and the unlimited utvs took off followed by the jeep speeds. I noticed the battery looked a little swollen and it was hot, so i knew the battery must have had an internal problem. The chase truck had already left the pit since we were about to start, but we had no radio in the car since the battery was shot, no cell phone service, and the trucks were heading north. The last jeep speed left and Casey asked what the problem was, we told him and he tried to radio to pits one and 2 for us but the officials were all busy obviously, they cant go run around looking for our chase team. The starting line was closing in 5 minutes, and pit 1 was closing in 25 minutes, that is when casey said he would tow us to pit 2 where we could repair and then enter the race from there with a penalty. I pleaded with him to let us start from the starting line and when he showed us the closing times, I understood. He said we either take a dnf right there or get towed to pit 2 and enter the race there. Obviously we don't give up, and throwing in the towel right there was not an option.

if we would have started in the morning with the bikes and quads, there would have been plenty of time to make a repair and start the race from the starting line without having an issue with closing times. Since we started later in the morning after the TT's, 1500s,and 1000s, as well as drew 40th off the line, the start and pit closing times were an issue.

One of the officials towed us down the highway to pit 2 where we sat and met part of our support crew, as we watched the lead UTV come thru the pit. Our other chase truck with the spare battery in it was heading back south from pit 3 and arrived about 15 minutes later. We swapped the spare in, buttoned things up and entered the race just behind the UTV of Rodger Lee, i am not sure what physical position he was in at that time. Pit 2 was i believe 74 miles in, not half the race George.

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Define "tow to the pit" ....as in next pit or 2-3 pits down course?

Define "deliver parts in the "field".......like on the starting line ? That's in the field? So when I walk out of my office I'm in the "field"?
George if you have a problem with the way things went, you should give Casey Folks a call, his phone number is (702) 457-5775

I dont appreciate your negativity and accusations toward Cognito. I will ask my team members to keep things on a positive note, I dont want a negative banter/fight coming from this, especially when we followed what Casey told us to do, and took a hefty penalty. Again, if utvs started early morning like the last 3 years, we would have had the repair done at the start, with no penalty, and ran the race just like normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000