KOH tech questions

Luckyoffroad

Feb 15, 2015
I am reading through the ultra4 book and looking for clarification from some of you that have raced. One item specifically, metal firewall. Is that required by UTV's, or just full size rigs? I did read the UTV section, but it also says "must meet all other ultra4 rules". You guys doing driveshaft loops, metal firewalls, and all that stuff? It also appears power adders are legal, as long as you stay under 1000CC's. Is that correct?
Thank you
Ryan

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
If you keep the UTV mostly stock, you're fine. No need for bulkheads, firewalls, external cutoff switches, fuel cell, etc.

If you modify the floor or rear bulkhead plastics? You have to then meet the U4 general rules for those things. Same if you go with a fuel cell. If you get rid of the factory ignition switch, you need to install a cut off switch. Stock stuff passes for UTV's.

This year's tech was a breeze. The checklist was easy:

Powersports based drivetrain under 1000 cc?
Front and rear bumpers?
6 point cage for pro, or modified 4 point cage or better for sportsman?
roof?
doors?
seats with harness slots?
date coded harnesses mounted correctly and at the correct angles?
arm restraints or window nets?
two fire extinguishers, one inside, one outside?
rear amber light?
safety triangles?
horn or siren?
first aid kit?
mirror(s)?(though I don't believe it was on the actual checklist)

Then they checked vehicle numbers, helmets and firesuits. I waited in the tech line a long time, but once up front, it took me maybe 3 minutes to pass. And once you pass you get a metal tag, so you can breeze through the express lane at future races.

Engine wise, you must start with a powersports based drivetrain that came from the factory under 1000cc. After that you can do whatever you want. Nitrous, turbo, boring it out, etc. I will point out that almost every car out there had a stock engine.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
If you keep the UTV mostly stock, you're fine. No need for bulkheads, firewalls, external cutoff switches, fuel cell, etc.

If you modify the floor or rear bulkhead plastics? You have to then meet the U4 general rules for those things. Same if you go with a fuel cell. If you get rid of the factory ignition switch, you need to install a cut off switch. Stock stuff passes for UTV's.

This year's tech was a breeze. The checklist was easy:

Powersports based drivetrain under 1000 cc?
Front and rear bumpers?
6 point cage for pro, or modified 4 point cage or better for sportsman?
roof?
doors?
seats with harness slots?
date coded harnesses mounted correctly and at the correct angles?
arm restraints or window nets?
two fire extinguishers, one inside, one outside?
rear amber light?
safety triangles?
horn or siren?
first aid kit?
mirror(s)?(though I don't believe it was on the actual checklist)

Then they checked vehicle numbers, helmets and firesuits. I waited in the tech line a long time, but once up front, it took me maybe 3 minutes to pass. And once you pass you get a metal tag, so you can breeze through the express lane at future races.

Engine wise, you must start with a powersports based drivetrain that came from the factory under 1000cc. After that you can do whatever you want. Nitrous, turbo, boring it out, etc. I will point out that almost every car out there had a stock engine.
You guys been entering this race for few years now... what happened this year? Any race report or vids? Curious... I know you have experience out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000