BITD New Fueling Rules

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
Currently this is only being implemented for the teams that use fuel towers or pressurized systems. Read through the thread on RDC as coming from BITD safety they are looking at instituting it in the near future for all teams...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/bitd-new-fueling-rule-as-of-1-27-15.120970/

SPECIAL NOTE - as of 1/27/15 - Fueling Rule - (May be hard to purchase at this time, contact [email protected] , and we will put you in contact with Darryl Putman, our Tech Inspector.)Overhead Fuel Towers and Pressure Systems: Fuel towers must be at least 20’ from the racecourse. All towers must have a MANNED spring loaded dead man valve (ball, gate, butterfly) to automatically close the line when the handle is released. The hose must have a break-a–way feature in the event the vehicle departs with the hose still attached.

1. Fuel Pressure System and Overhead towers must have double redhead dry brake with return back to the fuel system tank.

2. No larger than a -10 vent line with a visible check valve

3. (2) 20lb fire extinguishers (1) manned by a dedicated person or persons – stronglyrecommended that a fire extinguisher class be taken. May become mandatory in future

4. All Teams using fuel pressure system or fueling tower must register with Best In The Desert so their systems can be inspected.

5. Catch Can for fuel vent line, fuel must not come in contact with ground and be controlled.

6. Fuel Pressure systems must have a 10lb max pressure relief valve for the tank.

8. All persons pitting vehicles must have Nomex fire suits and Nomex head socks

All teams not compliant to these rules are subject to a penalty up to disqualification. CT Rule Book Page 33 – 1/27/15

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Are these rules only for those using towers?

racer56

Jan 20, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
Are these rules only for those using towers?
All the rules are for teams using fuel towers or the pressure pro system, except one. All teams must have 2 each 20lb fire extinguishers in the pits during fueling stops with at least 1 of those extinguishers having an operator.

I am sure there will be further rules applying to dump can use and limited class teams in the near future.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
So everyone pitting a vehicle has to wear a nomex firesuit and headsock? That's getting pretty pricey, furthermore some teams barely have enough people to help pitting in the first place, and now the volunteer has to have their own nomex firesuit and headsock? Please clarify

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
So everyone pitting a vehicle has to wear a nomex firesuit and headsock? That's getting pretty pricey, furthermore some teams barely have enough people to help pitting in the first place, and now the volunteer has to have their own nomex firesuit and headsock? Please clarify

They are still going over the details and from what it sounds like they are going to provide them at the Mint.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I'm pretty sure I won't be using any of the 3 firesuits I own with my impending back surgery... With that being said, I'm willing to lend them out to help a team out... Safety is important and I'd hate to hear someone was seriously burnt because they couldn't or wouldn't wear/buy a fire suit... PM me if you need help

dude1782

Future UTV Racer
Jan 13, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
Here's an update from the RDC thread:

Ok here is a tad bit of clarification on some of this. Darryl and I just talked at length. The wording will be changed in the near future but please everyone understand this is a big work in progress for all sides of this:
The "nomex" name will be removed from the description and will instead go to a more generic term. Fire turnouts in proper condition (no holes) will be acceptable as will other fire suit materials. There will not be penalties enforced for Parker as obviously there is not enough time however, every team that uses a tower or pressure system needs to make contact with Darryl at Tech at the Parker 425. He will get your pit location and contact information and meet with you at your pit on race day to go over the changes with your team.

While there is not an official implementation for crews using dump cans, this will become a mandatory requirement in the foreseeable future. Please start working on getting your teams up to this new standard.

To clarify one question that was asked, the people in the suits are those actively servicing the vehicle in the area of where the fuel or hazard of a fuel fire exist. The guy holding the stop sign, (hopefully that isnt run over on pit entry) or the person that is running to give the driver a bottle of water does not apply -Fueler, Catch can/ assitant, rear tire changers, jack man and tire carriers should have suits / head socks. I am going to push for the fueler handlers to be mandated aprons or wet barrier protection as well. No fire suit will matter if u become wet with fuel and it ignites.

We will be working to provide fire extinguisher training free to all crew members. While I don't believe we can get this together for a effective class by next week, we will let you know when we can get it together and it will include actual extinguisher usage and experience. Once we get this ready, we will offer it a couple times a year to everyone.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
To All Teams Using Fuel Towers or Pressurized Systems, the Following Apply to You at Parker:

You MUST call BITD and register your system with before Parker. When you come through tech with your vehicle, it is mandatory that you meet with Darryl Putman. Please send your Team Manager, Team Owner and/or Crew Chief with the vehicle in Tech. Darryl will meet with each team and inspect the vehicle. He will be talking with each team at Tech, explaining what will be required by the Mint and answering your questions, as well as discussing upcoming training on fire safety for your designated fire extinguisher handler.

MANDATORY AT PARKER:

2 - 20 pound ABC fire extinguishers (ALL TEAMS, NOT JUST FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS): These MUST be out and on the ground in the fueling area. During fueling, you must have a dedicated crew member at the ready with one (1) 20-pound fire extinguisher. Fire extinguisher compliance will be checked by the Pit Captain and if it is found the crew does not have these on board, the vehicle number will be noted and a penalty will be assessed. Acceptable fire extinguishers are: ABC, Purple K rated, or a Class B foam or equivalent. Must be two (2) 2.5 gallon or 20-pound or larger extinguishers.

Fuel catch underneath the vent area on the vehicle (ALL TEAMS, NOT JUST FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS): Crews will be required at each pit to have a fuel catch/containment mat/catch-all with sides on it underneath the vent area vehicle when fueling. This is to catch the fuel before it hits the ground underneath the vent area of the vehicle. Can be a 5-gallon paint bucket or tub, but must have aminimum of 12" sides, with a capacity to hold 4-5 gallons of fuel. You still must have a carpet or a mat, but carpet is not to be used solely for this purpose!

Dead-man ball valve (spring-loaded ball valve) [FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS]:
Required at the hose connection on the tank on the pressure side where the fuel leaves the tower or pressure system.

PLEASE, please refrain from calling Best in the Desert with questions on this and the new fueling rule - please post any questions here and Darryl Putman will answer them in this forum as timely as possible. The office is super swamped with the day-to-day operations as well as preparing for Parker. We thank you for your understanding on this and will do our best to relay information and answers as quickly as possible. Thanks everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000