Revisiting The California Helmet Law...

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Still don't like it...it's not that helmets are uncomfortable, it just feels so much better without IMO.

And the logic still doesn't click for me in regards to not wearing them in other caged vehicles on or off the street. How does it make sense for my UTV but not my truck or sand rail, etc..?

Either way, I don't let it bother me, but miss driving without. 3/4 helmet for now.

brevndeb

Your Mom
May 5, 2010
Beaumont CA-B-Town
I do not drive my sxs much since the law was passed. Daughter drives it wearing a helmet and she is having a good time. Bought a jeep and looking for a 4 seat buggy for down the road. So it killed it for me.

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
What is everyone doing for kid's helmets? Someone earlier spoke of a good old skateboard helmet but these aren't DOT approved. I am all for a lightweight option for kids (bmx, skate, snow, etc. type helmet). I hate the idea of strapping a DOT moto helmet on my 3 year old. Anything out there that won't get a ranger on you and won't make your kid a bobble head?

Anyone had any experience and actually been stopped/checked for proper helmets on kids?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
What is everyone doing for kid's helmets? Someone earlier spoke of a good old skateboard helmet but these aren't DOT approved. I am all for a lightweight option for kids (bmx, skate, snow, etc. type helmet). I hate the idea of strapping a DOT moto helmet on my 3 year old. Anything out there that won't get a ranger on you and won't make your kid a bobble head?

Anyone had any experience and actually been stopped/checked for proper helmets on kids?
When this law was passed the first issue I had was finding a kids helmet that was DOT and not to big & heavy. I called and spoke with on of the BLM Rangers at the El Centro office. I explain my situation of wanting to use a kids bike or skate helmet as they are lighter and fit better. He understood and felt the helmet law was good, but not executed correctly. He said he personally and felt most Rangers would not even give a second look at a child's helmet. He said they are not going to be stopping people to inspect helmets. Even if they did stop you for something else, he said as long as everyone was wearing helmets he would not check to see if they were DOT. He said you have to use some common sense and realize as long as you are doing all you can to follow the laws and your children are buckled in and wearing some sort of head protection (Bike, Skate, Moto or ? helmet) that he felt that was acceptable. He mentioned that when his kids were little, he would not have wanted to put a heavy adult helmet on their heads. I'm on two seasons with my daughter wearing a skate helmet and we have yet to have anyone look or question her helmet.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Yep common sense. If the manufactures and the politicians would have used some of that, this thread wouldn't exist.

Wired Moto helmets for us. Wore 'em before and will continue to, due to events experienced with off roading that scared the bejesus out of us and almost took my boys life.

At least we're all riding. We should be more concerned with the asinine land grabs going down. That will make this subject moot.:mad:

Bebe

Access Advocate
Jul 27, 2012
Auburn, CA
I wear a helmet in California. But now I spend more time riding in Nevada. When I'm on the rock crawling trails here in NorCal - I don't wear one until I hear there is a ranger in the area :). On Fordyce and Rubicon, we don't go over 3-5 MPH so I don't see a need. Rocking and Rolling is a whole different sport, and should not require the use of a helmet. (For adults)

In Nevada when we are going to do some high speed rides, I'll put mine on.

For recreation - we went with the Fly helmets with a visor and a shield, they work nice and are pretty light weight.

I still HATE wearing a helmet.

Last edited:

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
Fan of helmets, not a fan of the law. Rock crawling just don't see the need for one, but won't ride fast paced without one. I've been running a Nolan N104 which is a full face, but the whole front flips up so you can ride open face if you want or make talking to someone much easier. Setup so full NCom communication setup slides into pocket inside back of helmet and you can't see it's there. Italian made and a bit pricey, but super plush comfortable fit with nice flip down sun shades. Great street bike/dual sport helmet as well with blue tooth and am/fm connectivity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000